A little more on the Freedom

Builder show and discuss their progress.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Hybrid?

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

I was actually thinking of rounding off the peaked deck and "stripping"(gasp, sputter, gasp) my deck. Has anyone tried one?

Lee the "hairytick"
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I made a stripper pirogue from red wood but it only has a couple of 8 inch decks on it and they were easy to do. A full deck would take a little more time but could be done.

I was thinking of the same thing and mentioned it to Matt on the Freedom. All a person would need are several more stations on the inside of the hull to support the strips as they are assembled.
Compleat the hull , glass , everything , then fasten them to the hull with hot glue , a little not a lot so they could be removed when the deck is done.
Actually you would build the deck on the boat , then remove the deck , remove the stations and place the deck back on the boat.

The easy way to explain it is with pictures , like the way Chesapeake Light Craft does there Shearwater hybred kayak.

http://www.clcboats.com/gallery/page-sh ... show&id=17
At the bottom of that page click on RETURN TO MAIN GALLERY and go to the shop notes on the upper right side , there are 8 pages of how to do it.

For a angled deck , put the strips together in a flat panel (the same as using a piece of plywood) , mark it according to the directions , then cut the deck out and put the two sections together.

Chuck.
PS. All of this is in the thinking stage at this time. Remember , we are dealing with wood and wood can be used to build anything the way we want it. That is one of the beauties of it.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Feller
I got to fess up here The wood on the deck is laun as is the rest of the boat. I hollered for help few days ago on trying to get a good line when I put on top deck.
Try hard as I could when I made a seam on the hull I would get white on both sides in places even hand sanding
I couldn't understand how ya'll were doing it tried everything
here is pic showing what I am talking about
I finally was at wits end and was looking at a piece of scrap plywood where it had been scratched as I examined it decided to sand it and see what it looked like as I played with it figured out I wasn't sanding into another ply.
They had rolled stain or some kind of finish on to make it look like it was one solid piece on one side sort of like a film look in the next pic you can see where it soaked into the grain.
another pic this is the scrap where I cut out the cockpit
I sanded the scrap out liked what I saw went to sanding on decks with a lump in my throat.
So we do get lucky sometimes and as this is my first build I am very happy with the yak
Ron
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

sanding luan

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Take heart! The " grain " you sanded off is litterally 1/64th" thick. That's the going rate on finishes for box store plywood facing. If the Chineese ships producing this stuff could figure a way to make it thinner, they would.
I can buy "door skins" from my supplier that are thinner than thier paper backing. Then you could get into foil backing, and that's a whole different animal all together.
Take a breath and remember where we all want to be with this boat-building gig.... ON THE WATER!!!
The work of art you've managed to produce is a BONUS!!!
The real thrill is the time spent with a loved one building and or using the confounded mass of splinters!!
You've got my vote!

Lee the "Hairytick"
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.