Hairies Rudder Build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Jack,

The pedals pivot. :D

Rough draft is done. :D if this thing works, i will re build it, taking more care of detail, but for now, the blade is vertical, moves freely and should be OK. The only concern I hve really is if the blade is heavy enough to stay down while underway. Will find out tomorrow.

Jack, this is my pedal set up. i pought a set of kayak braces from a local kayak manufacturer, fitted a nylon hinge to the foot plate and then the steering pedal to the upper half of the hinge. A rope leads from there back to the steering wire.

Rudder up

Rudder Down. :D

As I said, it is not real pretty and my mounting bracket is not quite square but it will do for now. This one was only to see if it would work in ply. If it does, ore needs some refining, the next one will be much better. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day guys,

It works :D :D :D

I was right, the rudder blade is a little light to pivot all the way down on its own. but just a little. I think another layer of fibreglass matt fully wet out on both sides will make all the difference.

Even with the blade not holding fully vertical, just sort of dragging behind the boat, it has turned what was allways a very, very good paddling boat into something that is so much better.

I am very happy with the result. The control pedals worked faultlessly, the boat turns similar to a large sea kayak which is all I ever wanted. I can now paddle as long as I want on either side of the boat. I just couldn't be bothered to learn the J stroke.

Some piccies.
:D

I can control glide direction as I sneak up on fish without disturbing the water. - very, very happy.

Regards,
Mick

Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Excellent effort, Mick :!:
I don't like paying out for something I can make myself so I think I will be copying this :D

Cheers Mike
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mick,

I applaud your design thinking. I like to picture things in my head, then go about doing it.

Do you think that, (1) a light bungee to hold the rudder down may work? (2) the mount and pivot would benefit from beefing up a bit?

Under way, the rudder is normally not to steer with, but as a course maintainer. More of a trim control surface than for sharp turns. As you are sneaking up in shallow waters, though, it becomes a steering device.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Nice work Mick!

I've toyed around with a rudder kit off and on for a couple years. I may have to get back on that.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day guys, Thanks very much for the positive feedback. :D

I had her out again today in skinny water this time. i think the problem was just that my lifting cord is a little big in diametre and the friction of it running through my plastic tube guides was enough to stop it going all the way down.

It has freed up a lot and is working perfectly now,
Do you think that, (1) a light bungee to hold the rudder down may work?
Yes, but I am trying to avoid it if I can. :D

(2) the mount and pivot would benefit from beefing up a bit?
I don't think so. The mount is 3/16 X 3/4", 316 grade stainless steel and is held in place by two 1/4" 316 grade stainless bolts that were epoxied into the stern of the boat when I built her. There is a significant end pour of epoxy & wood flour holding the heads in place inside the boat. I think the mount and the mounting set up is stronger than the rest of the boat.

When I build another blade, it will be of 4mm (5/32"?) Gaboon, BS1088 ply, and feather it into a proper hydrofoil shape. That should take care of any weight problems and still not cause too much drag in the water.

The timber steering pivot block I made is from a single piece of machined iron bark. one of the tensionally strongest hard woods we have. I laminated 4mm ply to either side of the machined strip with epoxy/wood flour and then filleted every where I could to re-inforce it. I tried to make allowance for the thing getting a pretty rough ride on the roof of my car.

A couple more piccies. (not relevant to the build but I think they are kinda nice.) I took them from Southwind this morning.

Cool, frosty morning on my local lake. :D

Coupla spectators. :D
Regards,
Mick

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

thanks, Mick. the original bolts sunk into and end pour are likely critical.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mick,

From Duckworks, here is a link on rudders that may be of interest to you.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/how ... /index.htm
Kayak Jack
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Duckworks and I are working on a project that will of interest to all builders who want a rudder system.

And that's all I'll say about that for now. :P
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Fantastic work there Mick. Also although it is off topic, I'd like to compliment you on your bright work. The missus saw one of those "unpainted" boats the other day on TV and strongly hinted I do one of those.
Louis