pogue3one wadefish 2.?

Builder show and discuss their progress.
pogue3one
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

looking like a boat

Post by pogue3one »

Due to some unforseen events, I haven't been able to devote as much time to the wadefish as I would have liked to. I thought I'd be fishing out of it by now. I finally got the hull stitched and tack-welded. The process is much more enjoyable now that it looks like a boat. I was very amazed at how well everything fit together.

By the way, anybody looking at this site, comptemplating purchasing plans, Do it. Building a boat is much more fun than I ever expected. I hope fishing out of it is as enjoyable. The plans are awesome and if you ever have a question on some point or another, Matt and all of the builders are very helpful and timely with there responses. I love this site!

Now on to the pictures:

Starting on the hull, never thought I'd get here
Finished stitching the hull late at night
Love these jigs
Tack welded the next day. I hope to have the outside of the hull glassed by this weekend.
Messing about...
Last edited by pogue3one on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Pogue3one,

That is looking real good mate.

As the builder of the prototype wadefish, I have to admit to a certain amount of pride in these boats. I am certain you will be real happy with this boat as a fishing machine. I love mine but my son has laid claim to it.

A question about the stem alignment jigs if you don't mind. I haven't used these yet but am soon to start a build where one will be very handy.

When you stitch it into place, do you only tack the panels at the sides, near the stem itself? I just cant see any way of getting woodflour into the stem with the alignment piece in place.

Thanks again for the build piccies mate. I love your work. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
pogue3one

Actually

Post by pogue3one »

I was wondering that myself. It can only be tacked from the inside. When the rest of my tack-weld dries, I am going to flip it, tack it and then pull the stiches out when that cures. Unless you can figure out a way to lay under the hull to tack it from the inside. Even then, there is a veritable beaver's dam of spacers in the way. I'll probably have to remove a few stitches first.

Here is the link matt sent me: viewtopic.php?t=588&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

There aren't any instructions in my set of plans on its proper use. However it lines everything up perfectly.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks for the link mate. Here is what I did on my Southwind.
viewtopic.php?t=1812&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I think if you tack where-ever you can get at and as close to the ends as possible without sticking the jig to the boat.

then when that cures, apply some sticks to the outside section like this,

With wire passed through the slots where the panel spacers were, and then tightened, we should be able to pull both sides in evenly.

I am sure Matt will chime in here shortly with some very good advice. :D
Regards,
Mick

pogue3one

Oh sure

Post by pogue3one »

Oh sure. now you tell me. I think that the jig i am using is great for alignment, it just lengthens the curing time since you have to mix the glue three times for the outside of the hull. I wonder if it might be more eficient to make the same jig, but rigged from the inside of the hull, so you can tack it all at once. hmmm. Food for thought.

Mick, that is one ugly jig, but it sure would have done a great job. All of the panels are lined up perfectly. Another innovative idea from down under. Whatever it takes!

By the way, What is that ugly green fish I saw you post a pic of?
Last edited by pogue3one on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
pogue3one

Oh sure

Post by pogue3one »

Oh sure. now you tell me. I think that the jig i am using is great for alignment, it just lengthens the curing time since you have to mix the glue three times for the outside of the hull. I wonder if it might be more eficient to make the same jig, but rigged from the inside of the hull, so you can tack it all at once. hmmm. Food for thought.
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

Way back when I was stitching up my WF 2.0 hull, I made a kind of template thing like P3one. But instead of one big one, I made 4 or 5 smaller one (you could just cut up the big one) and just used them where two side panels come together. On p3one's picture the long part between ties wasn't there. I did have a few temporary ones that I used for aligning while stitching, but I removed them after everything was tight so I could tack in that space. I might have a picture or two on the home computers somewhere.

Looks good so far, you are moving right along on your build.

DM
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Oh sure

Post by jem »

pogue3one wrote:Oh sure. now you tell me. I think that the jig i am using is great for alignment, it just lengthens the curing time since you have to mix the glue three times for the outside of the hull. I wonder if it might be more eficient to make the same jig, but rigged from the inside of the hull, so you can tack it all at once. hmmm. Food for thought.

interesting idea. I'll have to work on that one.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day mate,

Working with a jig from the inside of the hull might make it easier to tack up but would be difficult to remove from the hull panels because you would be pulling it against the structure of the ply and would tend to jam, I think.
Mick, that is one ugly jig
why, thank you :P

Yeah, it was ugly but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :D As it was, the main hulls aligned perfectly but the tumblehome panel was a little askew. I didn't notice it till it was too late.

Mate, I posted the link and the pics because I have been pondering the same problem with my next build. I think Matts jig will do a great job Of aligning the panels but I just dont know how to tack the stems with it in place. The only thing I can think of is to tack as I suggested, then use something like my stick rig to hold the stems together while the jig is removed. Perhaps the tacked up panels will hold themselves in place. I just don't know but plan on finding out soon.

Something like a Wadefish was a very ambitious build for me, and I found out very quickly that I didn't know as much about this caper as I thought I did. I think you are doing an outstanding job and I wouldn't rush the build just to get the stems done in a hurry. If it takes three or more steps to get it done right then I would recommend you take as many steps as you need. :D

Oh yeah, Not sure which fish it is you are talking about. Can you post a link?
Regards,
Mick

pogue3one

Perhaps

Post by pogue3one »

Perhaps you could design a grab handle that extends from the end of the jig, so you can just give it a good "yank".

Here is the fish in question: viewtopic.php?t=2039

It's under your rudder build post. :shock: