TRR Laker build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Ron,

I think I prefer the symmetrical hull - just for ease and speed of build. I am not convinced that there is sufficient benefiet in the assymetrical hull to justify all the extra work.

Laker, with its symmetrical hull performs amazingly well and I see lettle value from a builder's perspective, in changing that. I don't understand the technical stuff about why it is so good, I just know that it is and that is good enough for me.

My Laker does every thing I want it to - very well. It even has seriously good surf capability for a rec kayak. I just can't see the value in changing a proven formula. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

In general, a slightly assymetrical hull offers a little more efficiency through the water. But it's not a case of take X design, shift the fullness aft, and you get instant speed. Other aspects that have to get along with that type shape.

The Laker is special. It looks very simple and functional but there's actually a bunch of work/thinking/dreaming/dumb luck/experiements that went into the hull shape to make it nice and speedy.
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

tx river rat wrote:I noticed a quarter was about the same size as the washers I was buying and they just be 25 centsand they don't rust. hummmmmmmmmmmmmm
United States Code
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 17 - COINS AND CURRENCY
§ 333. Mutilation of national bank obligations

“Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or
unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill,
draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking
association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System,
with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence
of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or
imprisoned not more than six months, or both.”

More here:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=426715

Watch for dark sedans cruising slowly past your house.

DM
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Mouse
Did you notice I didn't mention using them .
I knew that was coming :lol:
Ron
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence
of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or
imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
Ron,

Your "intent" was to make a great-looking hold-down for the hatch.
There's your legal loop-hole.
No charge.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

He wanted to make sure he would have $1.50 in change with him on his trip so why not let it work for it's ride down river. Holds the hatch down and is there for emergency pay phone calls if needed.:roll:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Mick and Matt
I wouldn't change a thing about the Laker in this length think it does it all for this length boat.
And I will be the first one to say I am a rookie but from every thing I read the longer the water line the better, the narrower adds speed, and the asymmetrical gets more important the longer your boat gets to give your cutting edge a longer slope to move the water aside.
Like I said I am a rookie so take my opinion with a grain of salt or the whole salt shaker :lol:
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

One heck of a boat
I wrapped the Laker up today got a seat option that works for me comfortable up of off floor a little, stable at this height .
To sum up this build it was easy with Matts plans the boat is light under 40 lbs tracks great glides like crazy and good speed very nimble boat.
I will have to agree with Mick it is my favorite boat to go paddle out of my yaks

Matt you have a winner here would not change a thing
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Matt
I gave the Laker a fit this weekend running small rapids bouncing of off rocks you name it I put her Thur it and she passed with flying colors.
Paddling in still water I did some playing with a gps 3.5 wasn't hard to maintain just a steady cruise and got in to some current got her up to 7.5 mph so the little boat will fly ( I was getting with it to hit this speed)
To anyone building the Laker a low seating position and foot pegs and thigh braces are a plastic seat like I use that sort of holds you in place
are necessary in this boat . You will think you are in another boat if you don't have these accessories installed
You have a winner here Matt but the things listed above are essential in this boat.