Touring Pirouge T-V

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Mick I have carried that same cooler on a trip in the hot air piroque with no problems . The weight on these coolers is low ,the ice  is on the bottomand the only thing you have to do is keep the water drained of so it cant shift back and forth. now that will cause a problem. Cooler in this pic is a 5 day extreme rated to keep ice 5 days at 90 degrees and it will, hunting in the moutains of Colo I fill one with ice and the other with ice and food I will still have ice at the end of a week. Jack can have his scotch and beer Ill have me a good margarita or salty dog at the end of the day around the camp fire (dang that sounds good )on the rocks. :lol: Ron
terryinGa

Post by terryinGa »

I'm confused, looked at the plans for the touring pirogue and its a flat bottom as I would expect from a pirogue. Yours is a V-bottom which I thought would de-classify it as being a pirogue? Are these a set of custom plans that Matt made up or a special tx river rat modification? (I tend to prefer the V or rounded bottoms and have shied away from the piro's for that reason.)

Thanks!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

They are custom but will be published. Working on the Touring Pirogue "T" first. It's a Touring Pirogue with a tumblehome panel and still has a flat bottom.

Then I'll release the "T-V" version. Technically no longer a pirogue... I guess. But it's that series and will be available via e-mail.

The deck is an add-on by Ron.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Like this boat
She is starting to finish out nowImage

guess I will need to paint ice chest to match boat :lol:

from the nose
One more day and I hope can hit the water
Ron
surfman

Post by surfman »

Ron, That is too much, man. Looking good.
Tight Lines, Steve
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Thanks Surfman I am really liking this boat more and more

Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

A few more pics outside
Shes ready to try out .

Here is a pic of how high the cooler set a bove the combing

4 Inches is all .

Paddling here we come
Ron
surfman

Post by surfman »

I don't think it will make it too tippy. Keep it loaded as low as possible with ice and it looks like it will do fine. If you filled it up with ice and drinks though it could add some draft. Are you planning on adding some hatches?
Tight Lines, Steve
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

. The Touring pirogue T-V hit the water today .
The weather was terrible 30 mile an hour gust and up to 18 inch whitecaps on the river but I couldn’t wait had to get her wet loaded the ice chest and off I went
The boat turned out pretty light 44 lbs and she handled like a dream turned well and was very stable in the wind there was very little nose swing and wind cocking I had waves breaking over the front deck no problem (would have got wet in a open top boat) heading into the waves she just handled beautiful I let her drift sideways to waves road them well a very stable ride.
I played around a little then headed down river to see a friend that was fishing there even with the 30 mph wind blowing in my face and the waves I was cruising at 4 mph this little darlin is fast. I had to play really started digging in with the paddle and was up close to six mph.
Paddled on down the river and visited a while we started back up bucking the current crusing at 3.7 mph was no problem.
In summary I LOVE THIS BOAT if I had built this one first would probably not built another Shes fast ,nimble ,stable ,carries my cooler well, cockpit is perfect for me bulkhead just the right width apart, seat worked great front deck is right distance for rod holders
This is my favorite of all the boats I have paddled.

Ron
Last edited by tx river rat on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Wow!

Now there's an endorsement!

8)
-Matt. Designer.