Lark's Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

Jack, I can't believe you never heard the term John-rude or Johny-rude. Now we have the Yama-rude since Yamaha broke into the outboard motor scene by making a copy of the Evinrude V4 back in the 80's I believe. Of course they sold them for a lot less money and they were just as reliable as the Evinrude so it didn't take long for the average American to ditch the more expensive home built version. There is no loyalty here if you can save a buck. And the rest is history here in the good ol’ USA.

Lark, you already painted the entire panels with epoxy? Now you will need to sand them every time you glue to them unless you are working on the area with in 24 hours. I am not sure I would have done that. I am also not sure that I am correct in my assumption either? It also seems like the epoxy would make the ply more stiff and harder to bend as well. Again, not sure though?
Tight Lines, Steve
lark2004
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lark2004 »

the resin I am using dosen't blush, so sanding isn't a big issue.

As for coating the whole panel surface, It dosen't add that much more stiffness to the panels yet, but it does make the Glassing a bit easier later on, as the wood won't absorb any resin out of the cloth. Basiclly you can wetout the cloth and walk away, not have to come back and check to see if there are any dry spots.
Andrew
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

doesn't applying two-part automotive clear coat require a spray gun and a very, very good respirator/air supply set-up?

I dont believe the sanding Surfman made reference to has to do with epoxy blush. Has more to do with getting a good bond between epoxy coats. If you pre-coat all your panels today, stitch up the hull next week and two weeks later finally are ready to glass the outside (or inside) you will have to give a light sanding to the pre-epoxied panels to get a good bond with the epoxy you are putting down. A second coat with in 24 hours is about the norm for not having to do any surface prep, because you can still get a good chemical bond. Past the 24 hour window and I believe you will be relying on a mechanical bond. Which would require scuffing the old surface up to achieve.

Little bit of sanding, no big deal.

DM
surfman

Post by surfman »

I'm with DM surface prep is everything I have seen this stuff pop apart before. I get nervous about applying resin even after 24 hours. Might be unfounded but, I would sand it. After it is all stitched up then saturate the wood to prevent the soaking during glassing.
Tight Lines, Steve
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Some epoxy directions speak about obtaining a chemical bond if applied over a previous coat less than 72 hours old. After that, lightly sand for a mechanical bond. Inference is, that a chemical bond is preferable.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

I've always done it this way and never had a problem.

I know that Poly resin has to be done pretty much in one step, but that is because poly dosen't bond very well when using on a pre-coated surface that has fully cured. Basically it has a very poor mechanical bond strength.

As for applying a two pack clear coat, I do have the gear to do so. Spray guns, 13cfm air compressor, big garage with lots of ventilation (when I clean it up a bit :oops: )
Andrew
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

lack of progress update.... :roll:

The truck (not a little ute thing that you guy's in the States call a truck, a real truck, International Acco 1830/B with a RoadRanger RT610 box) did a clutch last week, so by the I got that sorted out, The weekend was gone and I still have to get to the shop and by some F/G to do my splices.

Hopefully I'll get some today and get a chance to start work on the boat again tonight.
Andrew
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

alrighty then

I got some f/g, and have spliced 3 panels together (1 side, both bottom), Hopefully I will be able get the other side panel spliced together tommorrow and be able to stitch the bottom half of the hull together by the end of the weekend.
Andrew
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

Bottom panels and frames are all stitched up, loosly...... The side panels should be right to stitch in tomorrow. Should have some more pics up shortly.
Andrew
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

here's how she sorta sits at the moment.....

and nothing to do with boats, but I love her anyway
My 1942 Singer 96KSV7 industiral sewing machine.
Andrew