Robin's Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
GuinnesDraught

Post by GuinnesDraught »

Woowee Mick
what a lovely duo :)
I love your work mate....very classy and super finish...
you just make all of us want to build our own :P :twisted:

hope you and robin will have many great times paddling these :D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Mick,

You are becoming one talented builder. 8) 8) 8)

So when do you put the poke-a-dots on Robin's boat? :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
Jimmy W
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Jimmy W »

Those are some beautiful boats Mick. I might have to make one myself someday, but I think that the Southwind 15 will be my next.
sheena's dad
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by sheena's dad »

Mick, I didn't say so earlier but should have. Both boats are true beauties and taking your time with Robin's was a stroke of loving brilliance. Even with the purple paint job, it is a masterpiece.

Your pics are making me anxious to get started on the longer version Matt's gonna be drawing up.

Question for you and others who might know. I was playing with the idea of mahogany with maple decks. Well I found a source for some beautiful Bird's-eye Maple veneer. I have what I need to lam it to the ply, vaccuum bags and all. What do you think? A possibility?

Steve
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks guys, i tried my best on this one.

Dad, I have absolutely no idea re the laminating ply veneers sorry mate.

Robin and I put in with our local canoe club at the local lake today.

I will let the piccies tell the story.

Lots of room, and plenty stable :D

First strokes

c'mon! c'mon! lets go lets go!!

Really, the grin says more than I can put into words 8)

The brown water is a result of recent monsoonal rains. the first we have had in years. Our dams and lakes are filling. 8) when the water clears, we wll have some new places in very skinny water to explore and tese boats are superb in this. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Tor

Post by Tor »

wow. :shock:

ok so we had a Christmas break but that only took 6 weeks?!

I say again, wow.

must have a look at some first time builds otherwise this could all seem too hard...
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Tor, Thank you! 8)

Mate, These boats are not hard to make. Don't be intimidated out of having a go! Once you make the start, all will fall into place. It is just one step at a time is all.

As I said to you back channel also don't be put off by the rediculously high prices you have been quoted by some for ply. I had the same problems when I first started. (Tor has been quoted over AUD $100,00 per sheet for marine ply) utter BS. This also happened to me when I first started.

Shop around mate. The retailers/hardware places will treat you like a mug if they can. Do you know that most of them work on a 300% mark-up?

If you still can't get quality marine ply at a reasonable price, ordinary interior ply is fine. You just need to be a little more careful with sheet selection and how you build is all. My laker is made out of interior grade ply that cost me the princely sum of about $11.00 a sheet. Even then, it was the stuff I had rejected for other builds. (voids, splits,de-laminations etc etc) Bunnings up here market the same stuff under the "luann" name but its trade name here is "blonde ply"

Exterior grade hardwood bracing ply is also very good for this caper only it is heavier. When I get the chance, I will PM you some details of some people who might be able to help you with supplies down your way. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Sorry....I must of got click happy :lol:
Eat.Sleep.Fish[Be the Fish]
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Mick,

She's nice looking and the boat is nice to :wink: :lol:...Seriously the boat looks good, looks like it has plenty of freeboard...Nice build :D
Eat.Sleep.Fish[Be the Fish]