john the pom Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Chuck wrote
You just found one of the reasons to build wood boats , Great Gifts for family members.

The good thing about that statement is it could also read:
"You just found one of the excuses to build wood boats , Great Gifts for family members".

:)
i smell smoke
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by i smell smoke »

hey your not far from my old stomping grounds .
i lived in caboolture back in the early 70s.
spent most weekends at bribie . its changed a lot since then though .
there was a 60c toll on the bridge back then , and there were no more than 30 or 40 houses on the island ,
my name is john and i was born UK too ( blimey )

sorry i just realized im off topic wont happen again.

but while im here how do you find the stability in that laker have you paddled a freedom 11 to compare , still tryin to decide on a first build stability number one priority untill we get some practise in these skinny ships.
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Hi John, 'tother pom.
I'm probly the best and the worst person in the world to ask that question. Worst because my previous experience in small boats is very limited. Forty years ago I did a bit of rowing in a racing scull. As I recall them things are about 10inches wide and ya sit on top of them. They are without doubt the tippiest things on the water, discounting logs that is. More recently I've been using a sevylor inflatable whitewater canoe for fishing from. I say fishing 'cos paddling it was horrendous. I could stand up in that and fish from it. Even though it has a rounded bottom it was pretty hard to tip up.
Best person because you sound as though you've had as much experience as me :lol:
The Laker seems tippy at first. Mick said somewhere on here that "that was an illusion" and I agree totally. I would describe it as a bit skittish but in flat water there should be no dramas. Son in law had a paddle in it and he said same thing. "You think its gonna tip but it won't unless you help it along". He has to my knowledge paddled nothing before. Same thing with daughter, never paddled before and she got in paddled around for ten minutes and was totally unphased, though she said she was being careful. (What that really means is she was trying not to embarass herself and be the first one to fall out of it.) Am thinking if you're at Texas (qld) you'll be thinking of using it on Glenlyon dam. Mate I can't think you'd have a problem with it provided you take your time, get to know it slowly and get a feel for how far you can push it/yourself. The first thing I ever did when I first used my Sevylor was to deliberately roll it over and find out how to get back into it. in about ten foot of water.
I'm not a brilliant swimmer, I can swim and float for hours but I really don't rate myself. I always wear a PFD. In Queensland you don't have to worry about temperature so much. Worst thing is you might get wet or laughed at :roll: .
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day John, (smoky)

Another Pom - cool

I think Freedom 11 would be a little (or even a lot) more stable than laker but will also be a little slower.

You gonna be chasing yellers from your boat? (Yellers are yellow belly or Golden Perch - one of our better fresh water species).

If so, Laker is a very good, skinny water fishing boat. I think Freedom 11 might be even better. Similar level of build difficulty (easy) :D Either boat should suit your needs very well.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
i smell smoke

Post by i smell smoke »

ok guys its looking like the freedom 11 is starting to win the points for first build ,
i dont think it will see much glenlyon dam work , im not a great fan of the dam, the taste of the fish from it , will be almost all in the local river.
easy or hard to build dont worry me much more the stability of the craft for learning in .
our water will be very cold when we do most of our fishin , ( i prefer to spin and troll through the winter here )
target murray cod mainly , yellow belly ( CALLOP , GOLDEN PERCH ) is second target fish
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Freedom would suit and be warmer than an open boat. (pirogue)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)