john the pom Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Finally some progress to report. Laker almost finished needs three coats of varnish and some braces, knee and foot. Should be in the water this coming weekend which happens to be Easter, so plenty of time to play :D Had a bit of trouble with application of epoxy to outside of kayak. My fault entirely. I didn't bother to ensure I knew what was required and had tried to do it with a brush. Big mistake, ended up using far more epoxy than I needed to. The finish is not what I had hoped to acheive. But importantly I fathomed out where I had gone wrong and know what to expect/do next time.
Dunno if you can pick it up from the photo but the foredeck is a bit lower than per plans. I deliberately flattened it out a little. Just my preference no disprespect intended. The sides are also slightly lower than the plans, this because I wasn't happy with the bond at the top of the sides. I cut about 3/4" off.

I'm rapt with this thing even though I know I could have made life easier for myself and achieved a better finish. My excuse is that itsa first build :oops: Hopefull next post will be of a wet laker. :D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

She's looking ready to get some miles on her!

Front deck looks great. If going a bit lower is what you want, then going lower is what you should do! :D
-Matt. Designer.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Sorry there aren't more pics but photobucket is being mean to me and has abducted four of my pictures. Despite the pics it did actually get in to the water and it was AWESOME! need to adjust foot braces and seat but I knew I would have to. I'm gonna Be having a ball in this thing. Matt, BRAVO!

Not as scarey as it looks the foam makes for a rock solid carrier.

Image!
More pics to come when i regain some patience with photobucket.
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Three months later!
Now what am I gonna do with my spare time :roll:
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

looks really good!

Is that at Bribie Island?
Andrew
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

John,

Your boat looks great mate.

I reckon you have done a brilliant job of her, and she will serve you very well in your waters down there. I am only sorry I couldn't have been there for the launch.

Has Mum tried it yet? ya know she wants to :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Mick, the others in the pics were, son in law, grandkid and the girl in the other was my other daughter, kid's auntie. Kid's mum was there but expecting my second grandkid. Son in law and daugher each had a turn in the boat and want one :roll:
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Son in law and daugher each had a turn in the boat and want one
:D :D That sort of says it all. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Hey Andrew, sorry I didin't see your question. Yes almost Bribie, near the boat ramp at Kalmakuta park, about a k or less before the bridge.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

john the pom wrote:Mick, the others in the pics were, son in law, grandkid and the girl in the other was my other daughter, kid's auntie. Kid's mum was there but expecting my second grandkid. Son in law and daugher each had a turn in the boat and want one :roll:
John...

You just found one of the reasons to build wood boats , Great Gifts for family members. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler