Hairie's Sasquatch 16.5 (Big Foot)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Tor,

Thanks mate.

All my spacers are are 25mm dowell cut into 8mm pieces.

My gunwhales are 19mm X 25mm (outside) and 14mm X 25mm (inside)

This was about the biggest I could successfully edge bend. Even that was hard.

Screws made holding the outer gunwhale in place relatively easy. A heap more "G" clamps would have also made the inside ones easy too but I only had about half a dozen. Will definately be buying a heap more soon as I can find cheap ones.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

How do I compliment a Master???

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Mick,
If I were of the persuation, I'd be called "flaming". If we were lovers, I'd be called "gushing".
We are niether, but I've got to tell you......
Your builds are AWESOME!!! I can't say enough good things about the details I see going into your work!!

Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us mere mortals.

Lee

You make all of us better builders just by knowing you(and Robin!)
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'dy Lee,
If I were of the persuation, I'd be called "flaming". If we were lovers, I'd be called "gushing".
We are niether, but I've got to tell you......
Your builds are AWESOME!!! I can't say enough good things about the details I see going into your work!!

Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us mere mortals.

Lee
:shock: :oops: :lol:

Thank you very much mate for the lovely words but the truth is there are still way too many mistakes in her for my liking. I would call her a 5 yard boat. :oops:

Here is my problem,

I start off telling myself that I will take my time and take what-ever time it needs to get the build as good as I can. ie make the wood work and joints perfect etc. or to look like they "grew" there. Fine ambitions, but I lack the patience and in many cases, the necessary skill to achieve what I aim for. By about half way through the build, the obsession sets in :oops: and all I can think about is "getting her done". A pretty good joint is still very strong but not nearly as pretty as a very good one. My mini-deck support cross member to side panel/inner gunwhale joints are a good case in point. I will take a piccie and show you what I mean.

I have been down the shed tonight after work and sanded and applied the second last resin coat. My gabboon ply has come out splotchy is places and I don't understand why. It is not stain from the wood flour and i have no clue what it could be. I am as dissappointed as I can be about it.

When Matt and I were talking back channel about this boat and he suggested 33 inches for the beam, I thought it was going to be too wide. Again, Matt was absolutely correct and I was wrong. The lines of this boat are magnificent! Long low and lean. I think it is going to make a very fast canoe that will be way superior to any canoe I could buy here and any canoe available in plans anywhere that I have seen.

I am hoping to get her done before the end of our wet season so that I might be able to paddle the length of the fresh water section of our Mary River before it is dammed.

Enough of a ramble for one night. Very tired now and another 12 hour shift tomorrow.

Oh yeah, Matt, where is the sweet spot on this one for paddling solo?
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Solo sweet spot should be with your hips about 15-18" aft of midship. But definitely play with that spot before mounting anything permanent.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

OK thanks mate. 8)

If I am lucky, I might get her wet this week-end. 8)
Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Gonna be lucky!! 8)

Getting real close.

Mini Deck work.

Quick peek.

Haven't had time to start on seats yet so I will use a seat I made for Southwind and & sit backer till I work out location and heights etc.

Will clean her up a bit and carry her outside in the morning to get some better piccies.

There is a paddling and camping and fishing trip organized this week end with a bunch of blokes coming up this way. Guess which boat I will be taking? :P

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 58#p157358

Working on a quick and temp rod holder and sounder mount arrangement at the moment.
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Love the wood color of the guwales! Beautiful contrasts!
-Matt. Designer.
zeb

Post by zeb »

THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL CANOE 8) 8) 8) Enjoy Your weekend Mate.
(does it come in a smaller version :wink: )
All The Best
Zeb
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Aahhh, Mate... How good is this?
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks a lot guys,

Apart from the varnish & seats, she is pretty much done!!! 8)

Some piccies in sunlight.

Regards,
Mick