Hairie's Sasquatch 16.5 (Big Foot)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

You're gonna have to get yourself a larger hat, there, Chuckie.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Ron,

I don't have Chucks skill with a single blade, or a canoe. I have allways been a kayak man. I can do a sort of a "J" stroke if I want to but I don't see the point much. Anything that hinders the boat going forward is wasted effort in my mind. I change sides when I need to, usually about 5 strokes and that is enough to alternate muscle usage. I find it less tiring that way.

Really can't put into words why I feel the way I do about the single blade. It just feels right to me. Probably can't generate the same power to punch into a strong headwind with a canoe paddle but I don't care about that.

This boat is for carrying big loads over long distances in mostly sheltered waters but still able to perform when needed. :D

Thanks Jack, I sorta figured that. :D

This is a much bigger boat than the Southwind. I have just finished cutting the temp hull stations and while I have never seen one in the flesh, they sort of make me think "Guideboat" :shock: :D 8)

I just cant wait to start sticking the panels together to see what she really looks like.

All panels are cut and trimmed, will start panel splices in a few minutes. will upload a couple of piccies tonight.

12 hours so far.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

some piccies :D

All panels cut and trimmed.

Temp hull stations

First panel splice - YAY!!! :)

Regards,
Mick

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Most of the guide boats would have had another foot or so of beam. While this boat won't take the heavy water hat a spray-skirted kayak will, it will handle some pretty stout stuff.

Paddlers here who get out on the Great Lakes often have two or three part spray decks to fend off spray and over-wash. Such decks are handy on Class II or III rivers too, I'm told.

See what Dan Cooke has available at http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/welcome.htm
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Mick said: "There is an outfitter mob on the shore of the lake that also run a water taxi service, ferrying people and their boats to the everglades but they are not nice people and I won't deal with them."
Funny that I dunno if its still the same people Elanda Point??? I tried to speak to 'bout five years ago, but after asking them three or four questions I hung up on them.
Mick I was wondering what sort of aircraft you gonna be launching off that thing?
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day John,

I am reluctant to name them, but there aren't that many outfitters at the lake. :lol:

First time I came across them, was paddling back from the Everglades and resting up at the mouth. There were a heap of kids (early teens) in those big plastic canoes that I dispise so much there too. They were a scout group, all very inexperienced paddlers and they were resting up too.

They were on a multi day "guided" trip by this mob and their guide was paddling a sea kayak. (as was I)

At the time, there was a howling Southerly blowing and to make it back to where they put in, these kids had to paddle these aweful boats straight in to in excess of 30 knots of wind and chop over about 5 miles. The guide took off and left them to their own devices to try to make it back. I hung around and helped out where I could but there wasn't much I could do for them except just be there.

Only for a couple of old blokes in small dinghys helping these kids there could have been a tragedy. I found it tough paddling into the wind in my kayak. These kids had no chance.

Had a couple of other dealings with them. all negative. Their reputation is appalling yet they still seem to attract paying customers.

Re the aircraft carrier LOL She is big, isn't she. :D glad I didn't go with the 18 footer. this one will have the room for my beloved swag (bed roll) plus just about anything else we want to take.

G'day Jack, I have never seen a Guide boat, but the lines look to me a little like a scaled down version of the "White Guide" Mr Gilpatrick is so fond of. I didn't realise they were so wide. I like my boats lean and quick. :D
Regards,
Mick

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mick,

Like you, I prefer boats and women narrow. I think maybe the reason for width on "guide boats" wasn't for the guider - it was because they had a guidee in it.
Kayak Jack
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

I'd sell my mother in-law for your workshop, Mick
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day olsnappa,

Thanks mate, I originaly built the shed for my wood-turning but that has taken a back seat over he last couple of years. The lathes have been pushed into a corner and never see the light of day anymore. :oops:

Nevermind. will probably get back into it one day.

Got the last panel splice done today.

now the fun begins 8)

This boat is 16.5 feet long and my bench/strong back is only 16' long. Solution - temp extender each end.

A string line down the centre to use as a base mark from which every subsequent set up measurement and level wil be taken. - easy :D

Temp frames all drilled ready for mounting on the strong back tomorrow.
Man, I love this part. 8)

Regards,
Mick

GuinnesDraught

Post by GuinnesDraught »

aaah...a master craftsman at work on another project :D