olsnappa's Cape Fear

Builder show and discuss their progress.
coogzilla
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by coogzilla »

Lookin good, John.
Coogs
JEMWATERCRAFT:
Touring Pirogue-
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

John,

I have mentioned before, how I believe in this boat. Your build is confirming my belief. I just love the lines of her and in particular, the beautiful fine entry in the bow.

I am thinking I need to get off my butt and build this boat soon.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Thanks Coogs.......Thanks Mick.....and yes, she's a pretty shaped thing :lol:
I think you'll like it when (not if) you get around to building one...... How many do you have planned now??? :lol:
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

Very nice boat.

Can you post some pics of the hatch opened at various angles. and describe your gaskets?

Thanks

Dan
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

AlohaDan wrote: Can you post some pics of the hatch opened at various angles. and describe your gaskets?
No worries Dan.
I'll get some up soon.
I'm usually not getting home from work 'till after dark these days and don't have any light in the shed :cry: but will take some first chance.
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

paddlepup

Handles

Post by paddlepup »

John,

The boat is looking great, must be gettin' close to launch day :?: :?: :?:
I have a question - where did you get the deck handles from.
They look the same as those fitted to some of the plastic kayaks that I've seen but haven't found a supplier for them in Brisbane. That's what I would like to fit to my Laker but at the moment it's looking like a bit of hose with some webbing inside.
Cheers
Dave
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

G'day Dave.
Thanks mate......and yeah I'm hoping to finish her off pretty soon.
I got the handles from a local kayak shop called Capacity Sport. They carried a small stock of them as spares for some of their plastic kayak range. I don't know who the manufacturer is but if you have any kayak shops near you they might have them or something similar.
If you don't have any luck pm me your address and I'd be happy send a couple up if they still have any left.
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Pups,

Viking Kayaks on the Sunshine Coast stock a handle very similar to that. They also stock a very nice back band as fitted in our lakers. I forget how much they were but not too dear and real easy to fit into a laker.

Handles were about 20 bucks each from memory. The bloke who owns Aquarious Sea kayaks on Bribie Island is also a Viking Dealer and should be able to get them for you.

The crew at the Viking Factory are good people and will probably do a mail order for you if you ring them.

Roscoe Canoes also stock something similar. They are in Brisbane and will help you out if they can. (more good people) :shock:

The crew at Kayanu, down near Wynnum should also be able to help out.

If all else fails, give Gail a call at Goodtime Surfboards a shout. Her shop is now huge and she stocks all manner of kayaking stuff. I think she is still at Woollongabba. :D

Or - you could do as I am now. :D piece of 16mm dowel about 100mm long, with a hole in the middle and some 6mm braided rope through. Costs about zip, works a treat and doesn't look too bad if I do say so myself. :P
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
paddlepup

Post by paddlepup »

Thanks for the offer John, I should be able to hunt something down locally from the list that Mick has provided.

Mick, yep I tried Gail at the 'Gabba but they only had toggle type handles. I had them on the last Kayak and they used to give me the shites banging around on the deck in transit...to lazy to tie them off. I'd forgotten about the kayak shop at Wynnum but at $20 each :o :o I may stick with the hose and webbing :) .
Cheers
Dave
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

AlohaDan wrote:Can you post some pics of the hatch opened at various angles. and describe your gaskets?
Dan.
Here are some pics of the hatch.

The hatch cover is secured by a recessed latch.

Latch catch is a small strip of galvanised metal cut from a joist bracket

Rubber seal is self adhesive weather strip as suggested by Digr57 and Dangermouse .
Nice and easy to fit and if it loses adhesion over time, easy to replace.
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board