JT's Iroquois

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Mate,

I do an end fillet.

I mix the wood flour as thick as I can so that it won't sag and wipe it into the bow with my finger tip.

I smooth it off with a spoon and try to clean up all woodflour that is not in the fillet itself BEFORE it sets. - works for me and is much lighter than a full endpour.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I do a combination pour I do a fillet like mick does then cut a piece of cardboard tape it in and make the top four inches thicker . My handle and the longest point on he boat are well braced that way but is still lighter than a full end pour
Ron
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Jeremy,

An end pour does a couple of things for you. One is, add strength to the ends. the fillet described on here will do that too.

The other thing an end pour does is provide a place to drill all the way through the stem end to put through a rope.

Put in your cardboard dam, mix up epoxy with wood flour tot he consistency of peanut butter, go along the joints and bottom of the dam. From then on, you can pour in dribbles and drabbles of epoxy left over from other jobs and just accumulate it until you have enough.

I prefer the hole for a rope to be down near the waterline of a fully loaded boat. then, if I have to line a boat through rapids it is better prepared.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I do the same as Kayak Jack , End pour both ends and then drill a hole threw them for the rope ( make sure to coat the hole with epoxy to seal it and the wood) , this way I know it will hold either tied off to the bumpers on the vehicle or to a tree on the side of the river overnight.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jt

Post by jt »

This is about where the end pour ended up...

I was planning on drilling the hole just above the panel joint through the top panel, but am wondering if it should be lower???

Then, on to fiberglassing... Laid out the cloth dry--to smooth out and lie overnight... feeling a bit apprehensive...

I followed the plans and ordered the 50" cloth, but it comes up a little short in the middle of the boat...

Will this need to be reinforced??? or is it high enough up not to matter?

Here's a shot after initial wet out (boat is upside down in pic for applying fiberglass--this is a close up of the top panel, with bare area for gunwhale)

There's only a couple of inches between the edge of the fiberglass and the edge of where the gunwhale will go. Is it necessary to add a patch there?
Jeremy

Live and learn...
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Best ask Matt. He's more expert on that kinda thing than the rest of us.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

That small area will be just fine.

I debated about specifying wider cloth to cover that area but it's such a small patch that it's not needed. Wider cloth would have cover that area but much more would have been wasted.

If you want, you can add a small patch to that area.
-Matt. Designer.
jt

Post by jt »

Matt,

You're right there would've been a lot left over. As it was, I was able to trim some excess from the ends before wetting out, so I've got the patch and should be easy to apply. Just wasn't sure, being my first time...
Jeremy

Live and learn...
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

jt wrote:Matt,

You're right there would've been a lot left over. As it was, I was able to trim some excess from the ends before wetting out, so I've got the patch and should be easy to apply. Just wasn't sure, being my first time...
No problem. Typically when applying a patch, you want to overlap the cloth. But in this case, an edge-to-edge fit is fine and will be easier to fill in the weave of the fiberglass.
-Matt. Designer.
jt

Post by jt »

For glassing the insides, I did it in sections. This accomplished two things:

1. It was probably easier to do it in thirds rather than all at once, and

2. I was able to lay the cloth across the canoe, so I didn't come up short like I did when running it lengthwise. In the pic, the middle section has already been wetted once and cured.

I also did a patch over both the end pours.

I'm not terribly worried about the appearance of the inside ends, as they will be behind a bulkhead...
Last edited by jt on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy

Live and learn...