JT's Iroquois

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Boat looks very nice. Decks are classy. Where were you thinking of hatches, anyway? I don't see a place for them.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jt
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by jt »

Just under the edge of the decks--that's where the outside bulkheads lined up when constructing the boat. I'm thinking about sloping them a bit to create more space--but it's mostly for looks and stashing wallet, keys, camera, etc.

I noticed a lot of water catching inside the decks when transporting--I didn't make a drain hole because I was planning on doing the hatches. Will probably install the rest this week.

In my southern paddler post, I showed pics of the canoe on the water--but, I still need to do quite a bit of fairing, hatches, and uv protection/varnish...
Jeremy

Live and learn...
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I always put drains in the ends of the decks so water can get out and air in.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jt

Post by jt »

Even if enclosed in a bulkhead?
Jeremy

Live and learn...
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Firstly, I never enclose a bulkhead. I leave the boat open to the ends. Secondly, if I had an enclosed bulkhead, I would definitely provide a breathing hole.

An "airtight chamber" is a kiss of death to a wooden boat. It will slowly leak in and out as air pressure changes. this will do to deleterious things to your hull. It will continually be expanding and contracting, and will finally form cracks. It will also be drawing in a bit of air, and releasing a bit later on. However, the moisture will remain. When those cracks form, the moisture goes into the wood.

If the enclosed chamber has a hatch, then controlled breathing can prevent a popped hatch, or one burping and letting water in. I'd have one of two arrangements. Choice A would be a drain in the bottom of the bulkhead so water can emerge. Choice B would be a small hole, say the diameter of fineline pencil lead, at the top of the bulkhead.

These are just my thoughts; others differ.
Kayak Jack
jt

Post by jt »

I've never owned a canoe before--or any other boat, so I'm a complete novice at this. I thought the hatch would be for keeping items dry when on the water--sealed then, but stored open. No need to worry about breathing or trapping moisture then. Am I off base?
Jeremy

Live and learn...
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

JT,

I think you are spot on mate. A sealed bulhed to the end of your mini decks each end with a screw in deck plate would do all you require and still provide some reserve boyancy in the event of a capsize.

They are easy to install and cheap as dirt from Duckworks.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

As Mick says, a screw in hatch would be a good choice. You can seal the bulkhead if you like, and try to achieve an air tight chamber. Some do.

My thoughts are that, as I pack up in a cool morning, then it heats up during the day, it will build pressure. It will then either leak or be forced to oil can.

After opening it sometime during a warm day and resealing it, it will contract as the day cools into evening. It will then either oil can again or be forced to suck in air.

My preference is to avoid all that and provide a calibrated leak that will allow air, but keep out all bu a drop or two of water. Drill a small hole in the top edge of the bulkhead. Leave it a bit furry rather than cleanly drilled. And, you are correct, store the boat with the chamber open.

Again, my opinions, others will differ.
Kayak Jack
jt

Post by jt »

Thanks guys. Jack, I see what you mean, now--I'm just a little slow...

maybe that's why I prefer a paddle to a motor...
Jeremy

Live and learn...
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I lead a charmed life..... I have epoxy and glass sealed areas in both ends of my boats and there has never been a problem with them.

As far as the bulkheads in a couple of the boats , they seal water tight and ...... again ... no problems and everything stays dry in there , even with water coming over them or paddling a few days in the rain. Cool nights and hot days , they just stay the same and do there job.

Now if I was going from sea level to 16,000 feet there might be a problem but for sure , not in opening them. :lol:

I want mine water tight and air tight if possible..... Less aromas to escape for the critters to smell and then try to get into especially since I don't paddle at 16,000 feet , only at sea level or in that area. :roll:

I'm old fashion , a hole in a wood boat usually says .... sinking ... or a drain hole for water. Usually both if you forget the cork.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler