JT's Iroquois

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I built a canoe with sealed bulkheads and it was stored outside for 5 years. Tree fell on it and cracked it. It was an experimental design from el cheapo ply so I ended up chopping it up.

When I cut the bulkheads open, dry as a bone with no damage.

But, it's such an easy thing to install a tiny vent hole, it's worth the time for a little extra reassurance.

now I will say this: If you're going to seal the bulkhead with no access hatch, then DON'T drill any hole.
-Matt. Designer.
coogzilla
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by coogzilla »

Suppose you could poxy a fitting and put pressure guages in to
moniter any excess pressure causing imminent explosion. Really!

Coogs
JEMWATERCRAFT:
Touring Pirogue-
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Kayak Jack wrote: My thoughts are that, as I pack up in a cool morning, then it heats up during the day, it will build pressure. It will then either leak or be forced to oil can.

After opening it sometime during a warm day and resealing it, it will contract as the day cools into evening. It will then either oil can again or be forced to suck in air.
Can someone explain what is meant by 'oil can' :?

By the way JT that's a mighty fine job you have done there.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

when a wide flat panel of the hull flexes in because it's either too thin or doesn't have enough support.

They flex like the bottoms of the old style oil cans.

-Matt. Designer.
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Aaah. Thanks Matt.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Sorry, Earvin. The small hole as Matt suggests - in a compartment that will have a hatch - will assure no pressure differential. One could even put a pipe cleaner in it so water would be repelled, but air would freely go back and forth.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jt

Post by jt »

Jack,

Similar to the pipe cleaner, I was wondering about placing in the hole a small rubber membrane with a pinhole in it--like a small balloon or something--that would be almost watertight, but release the air pressure (whatever amount) that built up. Could possibly be glued/gooped in (I saw that term in another post on southern paddler where someone made a waterproof camera case and used the thumb from a dishwashing glove "Gooped" in--I'm not sure what Goop is, though???). I might actually use the glove (not the whole thing :wink: --just a fingertip) to try--I'll just tuck it up next to the side under the gunnel to hide...

Just googled Goop
http://www.amazinggoop.com/amazinggoop/index.html
--it should work...

Also, thumb/camera case idea was from Joel F. aka nobucks
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4585
Jeremy

Live and learn...
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Sounds a lot like a water lock for making home brew. That's another whole thread. Get these guys going on that and we'll be here all week!
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Recipes section on southernpaddler ... Moonshine Wine , some good stuff. :wink:

http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=136

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Sorry, Matt. Snuffy Smith and Li'l Abner just checked in.
Kayak Jack