FIRST TIMER A.K.A. THE ROOKIE

Builder show and discuss their progress.
TARHEEL
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

FIRST TIMER A.K.A. THE ROOKIE

Post by TARHEEL »

Just wanted to say hello to all the folks here. I will be attempting my first kayak, and the info. from all the postings I've read is great. As I begin with the Laker 13 model, I will try to see if I can provide some Carolina ingenuity to the process. Any tips and or wisdom are welcome.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Welcome!

Carolina ingenuity? This isn't a Duke-hater thing is it? :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Tarheel, Welcome aboard mate.

Quick tip, Pay particular attention to Matt's Q.A. measurements. Get them right and the rest is easy. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
TARHEEL

Post by TARHEEL »

Matt, I do pull for the heels, but I love all carolina teams. I've been in Texas since 1998, thanks to the Army. I read a ton of postings before deciding to attempt this project(by the way, love the aussie guy Mick), and I'm wandering: do I stain my wood before or after I glass it?
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Tarhill
I live about 45 minutes from you and have built a couple boats includng the Laker 13 if I can help are you want to see one built holler at me.
Ron
TARHEEL

Post by TARHEEL »

Thanks Ron, would love to see some of your builds in person. Also, I have been reading a lot of posts and the info is great, but I still have a few questions that at this point seem kinda silly. Right now I am still on the marking out the plywood stage and since money is an issue I find myself being extremely critical of each measurement. One question though: If I mark all the pieces and then secure two pieces of plywood together, can I just cut from the top marked piece to ensure identical mirrors?
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Tarheel
Sure you can do that just screw or nail the ply together so it can't slipp
as you are cutting, holes you make are easy to fill up with wood flour mix
Personally I cut mine a little big and then while it is still screwed together take a belt sander or orbital sander and sand it down to the lines , the other thing that might help is buy a metal cutting blade for your jig saw it want splinter and cutts really smooth.
Let me know if you want my phone number and I will pm it to you
Ron
TARHEEL

Post by TARHEEL »

Thanks again Ron. I planned on placing the screws in the waste areas after the initial mark outs. A few more questions, I recently built a pirgue and only used duct tape to hold it together while I did the seams. It turned out great, but through reading the postings here I find myself second guessing my building techniques. I know I'm asking for it but here's some of the things I've done differently from what I've read:

1- I used a product called tiger hair for my fillets.

2- I only applied fiberglass to the joints, inside and out.

3- I used the Bondo brand marine epoxy resin for the glass.

THERE, I've confessed my sins! I have had absolutely no issues with the performance of my first project, and I like/ not love, the outcome. With that said, I am open for all suggestions/ questions and some light razzing for what I am sure will be serious violations of the boat builder's code of ethics. :P
Could someone explain to me the difference between these epoxy systems that are being recommended and what I did on my first project?
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Tarheel,
1- I used a product called tiger hair for my fillets.

2- I only applied fiberglass to the joints, inside and out.

3- I used the Bondo brand marine epoxy resin for the glass.
Mate, I can't comment on any of the above. I have never heard of any of them.

Epoxy technology varies a lot from brand to brand but it all seems to be very good stuff. (some is just better is all)

Ron's offer is a very good one mate. It would be well worth the 45 minute drive to actually talk with him and have a look at the boats. He is a very good bloke and I consider him my friend. :D There are a lot of little tips and tricks in this caper that can be much more easily understood that way.

I had a visit from a bloke who had built kayaks fairly early in my adventures here. He just happened to mention a couple of simple things that I hadn't even thought to ask, and suddenly, the penny dropped for me! :shock: 8) It was like a light had been turned on and I could now understand where I was going wrong. 8)

BTW, Thanks for the kind words mate. :oops: :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I had another builder use those products and he's happy with his. The test is in long term durability.

Epoxy and fiberglass is more expensive, but SOOOO much easier to work with. It just depends on what you're good with and the trade-offs you're willing to make.
-Matt. Designer.