Freedom with a stripped top

Builder show and discuss their progress.
AustinPynes
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by AustinPynes »

You and all effected by the disaster will be in our prayers here in Austin, Texas.
AustinPynes
Swamp Girl Complete
Wadefish delayed
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Just wanted to give an update. Although the flooding handed another setback to this build, I was finally able to get back into the shop and make a bit of progress.
I'm hoping my camera was actually recording the pictures I took as things progessed. We'll find out shortly.
I'll try and post those piccies tonight. She's out of the shop and back on her perch atop the camper. All that's left is the rigging and a few cosmetics in the storage areas.
Stay tuned for some actual paddling pictures, she'll be in the water this week-end. :shock: :D :D

Lee
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Attaching the top to the hull

[/img]Image
This hopefully shows a bit of the glass tape running the length of hull.

[/img]Image
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Then came the coaming.Image

I used scrap 3/4" redwood on the underside of the deck to support the style of coaming I was trying to make.
[/img]Image

After smoothing off with a sander, I started with the riser part of the coaming.Image

I tried to match the striping in the deck, but the cedar I had left didn't match very well in color. The original was lost in the flood.

Lee[/img]
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

I can give you some lip about lips!!

After cutting the risers off evenly for length I applied the strips for the lip.Image
I then used a little pull saw to rough cut the lip to aproximate shape.
Final shaping was done with a sander.[/img]Image
The tape was in preperation for applying some dookie schmutz to the underside of the lip for strength.Image[/img]
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Next came the hatches and paddle.Image
I used the cut out from the cockpit for the paddle blades. the stick is just a closet rod.

The hatches un-nerved me. I was very hesitant to cut into ImageImage
the deck.[/img]
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Initial rigging was done at the houseImage

I should add that I used Rustnoleum Spar varnish and it scared me a bit when it took 2 1/2 days to dry. THAT scared me!
[/img]Image
Then it was onto my $25Image work truck, and down to the river.ImageImageImage[/img]
zeb

Post by zeb »

WOW
FANTASTIC work Lee
Thanks for sharing 8) 8) 8)
All The Best
Zeb
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Beautiful boat, Lee. Great work.
Jimmy
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

She's beautiful mate. The boat's not reall bad either :P

Nah mate, just kidding. Sue's boat is stunning. When are you going to build yours. :P
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)