DK - First build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Cheers for the link Tor........looking forward to it :)
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

Well the festival could have been better but the weather was superb and I played in the surf (Jan Juc) like a big kid and I ache all over for it.

However after a weekend off back to the build.

I've decided to build large decks and have some floatation/storage areas at the front and the back. So I'm going to install some of those round screw hatch type things (no I don't know what they're called :oops: but I'm sure someone will put me right...).

what sort of price am I looking at, I've looked on the net but as usual didn't come up with anything after 20 minutes so I'm giving up. I'm going to try to get to the local marina shop tomorrow to see if they have anything.

The ends are cavernous in this canoe so largish holes can be cut, any advice welcomed.

Otherwise I'm still sanding and filleting.

Oh yeah, I didn't mask the inside of the joints very well (I know I should read the advice more thoroughly) so I need to do this before I finish off the joints and then I've a little scraping to do (yes Mick I have a carbide scraper and they are a God send... :lol: ).

Tor
digr57

Post by digr57 »

Duckworks sells some 8 inch hatches at a good price They have a quarter turn locking mechanism instead of all threads so less trouble with sand in the threads. I could't get the url to post right so go to duckworks store and click on hardware and you should find them. Russ
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Here ya go 8)

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/ha ... /index.htm

Shipping to Auss is fast, service is great. 8) 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
digr57

Post by digr57 »

Thanks for posting the link Mick. I tried but when i clicked on it it didn't work. Darned computers. Russ
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

Lol Tor, I know what you mean about being sore from playing in the surf at JanJuc.

My Grandparents lived there for about 20 years, I spent many summer weeks there on holidays, climbing on the rocks and sand dunes, exploring the caves and stuff around the bottom of the cliffs between the beachs, we even walked from Torquay beach al the way around to Bell's Beach on the low tide once.

I hadn't thought about the stuff we used to do down there for years, Thanks for bringing back some very fond memories........ :)
Andrew
Tor

been a bit busy

Post by Tor »

it's been a weekend of sanding and epoxy, this part of the build certainly takes time and progress seems to be slow.

but now she's water tight...

Epoxy coat going on. Unfortunately the glass cloth I bought is only a metre wide which wasn't enough to do the boat in one go so I used the following logic to decide how I was going to apply the glass: I'll use the boat a lot on lakes and rivers which will either be "beach" launched or quite shallow water. So therefore the underside is going to get a lot of wear, so I placed the cloth to give me 2 layers on the base and about 2 inches on each side at the middle.
"roll" on the cloth
wet out with resin
couldn't feather this edge to make it invisible, bit more sanding to do...:wink: finish isn't good enough to leave "raw" so I'll be painting the hull on the outside (a sort of cream colour I think)
leave it for about an hour and put on the second piece of cloth
using the cloth this way also gave me two layers and the bow and stern
and a little bit still exposed to attach the gunwhales to
don't epoxy at night with the light above you :oops:
and this is water tight, next stage the gunwhales
and in between coats of resin I built the frames for the seats and coated the bulk heads (with any spare resin)

gonna have a beer and sit and with the end of the GP now. The resin can fully cure whilst I find a lower bench (cheap sawhorses) to work on the inside and some more clamps to fix the gunwhales. Another two week gap to go camping with friends.

Deadline of weekend around April 25th launch drawing near...

Later,

Tor
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

looking good Tor.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Deadline of weekend around April 25th launch drawing near...
Anzac Day launch. Outstanding mate. :D

You boat is really starting tolook good now mate.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Looking good! Nice photo sequence too! 8)
-Matt. Designer.