DK - First build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

OMG I can't believe how big it is...

and if anyone else says how big did you think 18' is I'll sit in the corner and sulk :P
Have to wait 'til the weekend to get some more ply to fix (remake) the frames, then I can start straightening and tightening and turning and glueing.

The kids are keeping me very focussed although very concerned that it's "full of holes and won't float". At least it's big enough to take them all...

Decided to use oregon for the gunwhales and seat structures.

Later...
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

I don't know what load capacity Matt has assigned to it, but I'd bet that it will displace a half ton of water before it goes under. Safe carrying capacity will be considerably less than that, but you can carry some BIG loads in that boat.

However, YOU can still carry only so much on a portage trail, so don't go getting all enthusiastic about going into the heavy freight business for a camping trip.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Tor

Post by Tor »

well another weekend over, had a few commitments this weekend so not too much time for building however we did a bit.

Permanent frames, I eluded to the fact that I'd messed up when marking these out and to be honest I didn't like the look of them, too thin for mounting in the middle of a boat that kids will be in, I could see a wayward foot and a piece of cracked ply. So I asked whether I could make 'em smaller and without beating around the bush I was told no (the explanation was a bit longer :D ) so I made 'em bigger....

I got the wood for the gunwhales, hoop pine, 250mmx50mmx4.8m and used my orange sawdust making machine to get some smaller bits.

The permanent frames were constructed out of 15mmx50mm hoop pine, I lost the curve on the top of the frame but I figure I can live with that.

Frame in position.
So once the frames were in over she went
and I've persevered with the washers as spacers
I found the paddle pop sticks kept breaking and I find that using a pair of pliers help tease the panels into position
Once I was happy with all of the alignments time to ice her with my new really expensive tool
this was $2 at the local discount shop. I managed to clean it once (and could have done again I suppose) but I'll replace it to finish the joints. It worked a treat.

Time to let it cure.

Will only get a little time to work on it this week, going away next weekend (Geelong Wooden Boat show), so it'll be a couple of weeks before we make any more progress.

I still wonder whether she'll go though the door :lol: :wink:

Tor

PS Jack I cleaned up again, but you have to forgive me 'cause it gives me chance to play with my vacuum cleaner.:lol: :lol:

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Tor,

Now I understand about the frames thing. I have never seen them in a canoe before. they will make for a very strong boat!

Gotta love those orange saw dust making machines. 8) got an old mark 3 here and I use it all the time. (We are talking about a "Triton" saw bench.) Not sure if they are available outside Oz but all they are is a type of saw adaptable stand that can turn a circular saw into a saw bench or a router into a small spindle moulder or even a jig saw into a sort of big scroll saw bench. 8) very handy things for blokes like us :D )

http://www.triton.com.au/companyprofile.php

Mate, I love your idea with the washers and pliers and also the icing syringe- brilliant - Thank you for sharing. 8)

Did you build your shop vac? I really like it. I gotta get round to doing something like that one day. :oops:

I think your canoe is going to turn heads every where you go. Great looking boat mate. Good Choice.

Beautiful neat fillets by the way too. 8) You might find a plastic zip lock bag with a small corner cut out of the bottom easier for the inside fillets .
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Great idea using the washers as spacers........ I found the same problem with the icy pole sticks........ Will definately file that one away for the next build!
Nice job so far Tor. I admire your neatness. Something I aspire to but rarely achieve.
I was thinking of heading down to the Wooden Boat Show too. Can you tell me where in Geelong it is?
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The washers do work nicely. Look for what is called "fender washers". They are large in diameter but narrow thickness.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Never thought of using washers but then I don't use spacers. If in the future if I would , how about the plastic ones ?

I'm thinking they would weigh less , epoxy would not stick to them plus they would cost less then metal ones.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

That should work. I wouldn't clamp onto to them with pliers to adjust the panels.

Instead, use a thin headed screwdriver to pry on the wood panel. Same thing you do for the popsicle sticks.

Plastic ones I've seen have been expensive. But I haven't gone out researching them.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Shop vac looks like it started life as an olive barrel? Campers here use those for food storage to keep out 4 legged critters (and marauding guys looking for crackers and Vienna snausages).
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Thanks for the comments and no problem with passing on the washers idea, I'm not claiming it as my own but I can't remember where I read it.
Where I'd become a little over enthusiastic with the glue I turned the washers after an hour or so and this seemed to break the bond. I'm sure there's a few I've missed and hope I can warm them to release them, I'll let you know how it goes. By the way the washers I used are the ones you use with coach bolts (wood fasteners) and I don't think that they were expensive (although mine were leftovers from a cubby I once built)

The shop vac is a 50litre sealed drum with a lever clamp which I took to with a hole saw and then added a few bits of pipe which just happened to fit the standard pipes, the suction comes from a old vacuum cleaner the I found in (reclaimed from) the hard waste. A small additional benefit which I discovered when I emptied it this weekend is that the standard dust bag collects the finest wood flour known to man. :D

Why is it we all think we could do better when we see others work and I'm about to join the ranks by saying "thanks for the compliments but I think I should do better"...:oops:

and that was the best joint, some of them are quite bad:roll:

Olsnappa I believe the festival of wooden boats is run by the Royal Geelong Yacht Club (or something like that) there's a link below. We're going down for the weekend, camping at Portarlington so I'm not sure when we're going to the festival. Just want to see boats and hope I can pick up some cheap hatches for the QE2:lol:

http://www.woodenboat.com.au/news/story.asp?story=11895

best I go and check the glue....

Tor