DK - First build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:I wonder what happens if you put varnish on Chuck? :shock: :lol: :P :twisted:
As with anything aged , past it's prime , weather worn , well seasoned and almost worn out relic .... Demands a high price at any antique store , especially with a fresh coat of varnish. :roll:

Chuckles. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

I varnished him up real nice last year, put some seegars in his hand, and loaned him out at $5 a day. Would have been more than that, but it was about all I could afford to pay.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote:I varnished him up real nice last year, put some seegars in his hand, and loaned him out at $5 a day. Would have been more than that, but it was about all I could afford to pay.
I managed to keep the cigars. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

Well I delayed the official launch date due to not being happy with the canoe... :shock:

well ok, not being happy with the work I've done ( and I blame all of you for that... :lol: ) you set the standards high

I figure it'll be second weekend in May. Ar least we have the paddles and PFD's in preparation :)

So a bit more sanding and a little more resin and some filleting (which I need to learn to polish before it cures :oops: )

Messy but effective

filleted frames (need lighter coloured filler)

OMG :shock: cut a holle in the hull :lol: Image

and shaping of the gunwhales (at the front)

we're getting there...

Tor
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Coming along nicely!

Don't worry about cutting a hole in the hull. Just be sure to cut one at the other end so that any water that comes in can drain back out. :shock:

:P
-Matt. Designer.
pogue3one

Post by pogue3one »

Don't worry about the color of the fillet. When you epoxy the rest of the wood it will darken as well. Should match up nicely
Wadefish (complete)
Tor

Post by Tor »

jem wrote:Don't worry about cutting a hole in the hull. Just be sure to cut one at the other end so that any water that comes in can drain back out.
Thanks Matt, the one in the other end I did lower so that it drains quicker. :P
Tor

Post by Tor »

It's cooled down a bit so I'm having to heat the shed.

first light the portable bbq
Apply resin to ends
and place "heater" underneath...

It works but I need something a bit bigger (and less smokey :roll: ).

This was a week or so ago...
Tor

Post by Tor »

big weekend = big post...

completed the seats, it's a vinyl cover over a foam and polystyrene base located by dowels so I can take the cushioning off if I need to. The frames were cut to size and then hung by nylon string from the gunwhales (until I work out how/where to fix them)
Finally out of the shed (seats yet to be fitted)
detail of the deck
need a bit of a hand to get it on the car
and it only just fits (as long as it's the right way up)
those first tentative moments 30 minutes later
a little back heavy
better balance with the extra weight
even has cup holders
over the bow...

we went to a local park for this paddle and it was packed (Mothers day here) I got a fair amount of attention and a fair few cameras were pointed at me from complete strangers.

It was a great paddle, took all 5 of us at one point and for a simple canoe was easy to paddle had a fair turning circle and was really stable. It caught the side wind as expected but it wasn't too bad.

We paddled up the small creek that feeds it which was about 2 feet wider than the boat was long and me and my 9 year old son turned it around without too much drama, as this was his first time paddling I was really impressed.

I need to find a better way of fitting the seats but hanging them to the gunwhales was very successful just need to do it prettier :)

The only issue I had was a clouding of the epoxy which I hope goes away, has anyone else seen this?
will it go away or is this a serious flaw in the build. it's not varnished yet I'm going to wait for the weather to get better before I do that (although that's several months away yet :cry: )

I'm so looking forward to the next trip out in two weeks (and starting the next project... :lol: )

Tor
Tor

Post by Tor »

I wanted to put in a video of our landing technique, but couldn't put in a single video without it opening a file to all videos which I didn't want to share, if any one can help with this I'd be most appreciative videos are in photobucket

:lol: :lol: :lol: