Paddlepup's Laker 14

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Beautiful neat work mate. Love it!
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
paddlepup
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by paddlepup »

Ok guys here's where I'm up to.... hull all glassed inside and out, inwhales fitted, bulkheads ready to fit then on with the deck.

Everything going to plan, put the deck on and checked it over the scales and came in about 13kg....thats' 28 lb for you Northern folk. Still got to glass the top of the deck and add coaming and seat so probably looking at 16kg+ before any paint/varnish etc. :shock: :shock:

Trouble is I'll be away for the next 5 weeks so there'll be no more progress for a while. :( :( :(
Cheers
Dave
paddlepup

Back on the job

Post by paddlepup »

G'day all,

After a few weeks holiday and a few others issues sorted it's finally time to get back to finish off the laker. The deck went on fine, and has been glassed and 3 coats of epoxy applied.

Started shaping and fitting the coaming, still have the top layer to shape and fit along with the back egde, seat is dry fitted and will have a plastic inspection port fitted to access underneath.

I have made a smallish hatch cutout behind seat and also a hatch in the front bulkhead, hatch covers are made.

I had planned to paint the hull from the start and probably leave the deck clear. I did not bother to much with marks on the ply. Now looking at the lovely grain pattern in the ply that the epoxy has brought out I wish I had erased all the pencil mark prior to applying the f/glass so that I could leave the whole hull clear.
Have yet to purchase some graphite to finish off the bottom.
Cheers
Dave
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

looking good!

I did the same thing with my wifes kayak. I asked her over and over if she wanted clear finish. She said no...she wanted to paint it. So I didn't fuss much about removing pencil mark and even use a little fairing compound.

Well she saw the wood look and changed her mind. :roll:
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Dave,

your boat is magnificent mate! :shock: 8)

I love the coamigs, :shock: What did you make them out of and what was the process please. Beautiful neat work.

The bar has been bloody raised - yet again. :shock: :D 8)

Love ya work mate.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Yep.....have to agree. Very nice work Dave
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
paddlepup

Post by paddlepup »

Thanks guys, :) :)

Mick the coamings are pretty well as per Matt's plans, laminated from 1/4" ply, except that instead of marking them out by the plans I just waited till the deck was on, cut a bit of ply to fit and traced the curve off in situ, one for each side. Used a router to cut and clean them up a bit and then that was the pattern for the other two layers. Same for the top layer but just made it 1/2 inch wider. Bit to late for a photo now 'cause they're all glued on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Must be time to start thinking about the next set of plans :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cheers
Dave
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Any progress Pup?
Your boat looks sensational so far. I can't wait to see it on the water.

Al
paddlepup

Post by paddlepup »

G'day Al
Thanks, yep not a lot of progress to report. :( The coaming is finished, the seat and thigh braces are in so I guess all the gluing and glassing is complete, just a matter of getting a finish on it now. Needs a bit of sanding first. We've had a run of less than average weather lately so really haven't been inclined to get into it. I did take it out of the shed to clean up prior to painting so this is how it looks at the moment.

The plan is for graphite/epoxy on the bottom, some sort of colour on the sides, when I get around to buying it, and with the deck finished clear.
I still reckon it will be in the water before Larkies' but I'm giving him a bit of time to catch up :D :D :D
Cheers
Dave
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Nice work, that looks really smart and reminds me why I painted mine. I left all sorts of pencil marks and other crap on the side of mine. I wish I hadn't and had left it fit for leaving "naked" I reckon if you paint the sides you'll regret it later. Otherwise it looks great as it is.