Paddlepup's Laker 14

Builder show and discuss their progress.
paddlepup
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Paddlepup's Laker 14

Post by paddlepup »

Hi All,
Well I've finally got the plans for the Laker 14 and have made a start.
Have marked and cut all the panels, spliced the side and bottom panels and hopefully in the next few days will get the them all tied together and glued. I'm using 4mm gaboon plywood (ocume ?? for you Northern folk), and will be glassing it inside and out. The aim to to keep it light as possible as my last kayak was a plastic S.O.T. that started at 24kgs and became heavier with the more bits that I added to it. :cry: :cry:
I bought one of those magic scrapers that Mik spoke about...they are the ducks nuts for fairing the edge of the f/glass. Thanks for the tip Mik. :idea:
There's not much in the way of pics to show that haven't already been shown on previous Laker builds but I'll attempt to get a photo or two up when I work out where I can store them. :?: :?:
Cheers
Dave
Flump
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Flump »

Hey Dave, good luck mate.....and yes Hairy does have alot to answer for :wink: :D
Build and paddle your own kayak - it doesn't get much better than that!
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

hey paddlepup,

What weight f/g cloth were you planning on using? I've used 6 ounce cloth on mine, and it does soak up a fair bit of resin. I would probably consider using 4 ounce next time myself, to try and keep some of the weight down.

P.S. I think we might have to seriously consider forming a SEQ Laker club......
Andrew
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Dave,

Whitworths have some very nice 200 gram stuff that you might like.

It is about $13.00 a metre.

Failing that, I am using similar cloth that i got from Duckwors at about US 5.50 per yard plus shipping. It is a tighter weave and a little harder to get to conform but not too bad.

Both cloths completely dissapper when wet out and don't take too much epoxy.

G'day Nick,
Hey Dave, good luck mate.....and yes Hairy does have alot to answer for
:P :P

Ya still coming to Lenthall's in March?

I'll be taking my Laker. You can put her through her paces if ya like.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
paddlepup

Post by paddlepup »

Thanks Flump, :D

Yes Andrew I'll use 125gsm (4oz) f/glass cloth and hopefully use less resin in trying to keep the weight down. I did the splices with some 6oz cloth that was left over from the last project. A laker get-together sounds good....give me a bit of time though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick I picked up some 125 gsm cloth from Boatcaft Pacific down at Loganholme...for $6:14 / metre. They have 200 gsm listed at $5:10/mtr on the pricelist. Check your email for a scan of their pricelist...they do a fair bit of mail-order too. Give them a call.....I have no connection with the company :!: :!: :!:

Started tying it together this afternoon, the panels seem to fit pretty well so far, I'll try to get some glue on tomorrow.
Cheers
Dave
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Dave,

got your email. Thanks mate.

There are several lakers taking shape in SE Qld at the moment with a heap more to come I believe. 8)

I believe we have the potential for a laker turnout in the future with some very good numbers.

Here is a big call. I have so much faith in these boats, I believe they will become one of the most popular hand/home made wooden boats in this country. Everybody who has paddled my boat has wanted it. 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

Those prices from Boatcraft seem pretty fair.

I go to Acme Fibreglass at Eagle Farm myself, but thats more to do with the fact That they are closer to me and I usually have a few minutes spare during work around that way.

And don't think that there's any pressure on to get her finished just yet, I'm still a way's off on mine and I started before Christmas........I'd like to have it finished now, but times not always on my side....
Andrew
paddlepup

Post by paddlepup »

Evening All

Time for a brief update. The Laker is going together well. Got it stitched up and all the seems glued. I initially tried without using spacers but thought that there was not much clearance between the panels for glue so ended up re-stitching it using small bits of ice-cream sticks at each tie point. Worked out better I think. :D :D

Then turned it over and assembled and glued the deck.

I've put a layer of 4oz on the bottom coming down the side about an inch hoping to achieve a bit of extra stiffness for the bottom as it will be resting in a cradle on a roof-rack for transport. Next I will cover the whole hull with another layer of 4oz before doing the inside. Still deciding whether to use the graphite on the final resin coats for the bottom. :roll:
Cheers
Dave
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I've never heard of a builder regretting the graphite. Heard many that didn't apply it go back on do it.

However, if you launch/land in a soft, sanding location and paddle in mostly deeper water where no rocks or logs jump up at you, you'd be fine without it. I'd still apply if it were me.

I heard of some builders playing with teflon powder. Never heard how it performed, though.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Dave, I agree with Matt about graphite on the outside bottom. Sort of like armor plating the bottom of your boat.

Also, it is important to glass the inside from waterline down. When - not if - your boat gets pinioned on a sharp point - rock, log, stump, construction waste - the wood will be bent inward at a sharp angle. Without glass there, it will splinter and split. Right after you hear the splintering cracking sound, you will hear a familiar voice hollering, "OH $#IT!"
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.