Dan's Pelagic

Builder show and discuss their progress.
pogue3one
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by pogue3one »

Dude, you might want to 86 the pic with the license plate.
Wadefish (complete)
AlohaDan
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by AlohaDan »

Thanks pogue. I'll edit it out.
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

Man there are a lot of holes in this boat! Working slowly to get them filled.

Following up on dye problems.

Before stitching I did put a coat of epoxy on the dyed exterior side of the panels. I figured it would be easier to remove any exces fillet. It was.

So I was right, but also errored in the filet color even though I was using West Systems Colloidal Silica (Uniform whiteness) versus wood flour.

1. Mixing up the hardener and epoxy it was dificult to get the dye color correct compared to the water based solution. Whatever came out, however, transferred pretty well to the silica.

2. Because I used small multiple batches to tack glue and fill holes I had to eyeball the fillet color each time. Lot's of minor variations.

I think if I did it again I would have gone with just black for the fillet seams.

So I am not sure how "pretty" the Pelagic will look. I'm going to plow ahead and see what happens as I would rather have a very light off colored yak than a heavier one loaded with paint.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

the little errors stick out now... but they "fade" after she's done and on the water.
-Matt. Designer.
Jerry-rigged

Q for Matt

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Matt - why the wide transom?

Overall, I am liking the lines of this hull, but I don't get the wide transom... :? Unless you are planning for the boat to plane most of the time under sail...
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Dan's call.

But he needed extra capacity without the length and also volume for a fish bag.
-Matt. Designer.
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

Just got back from a four week trip to mainland.

Jerry

Yes I was looking to get higher sail performance, also a down swell push. And as Matt says room for fish bag.

When I finally get it on water, I'll do a paddle stability test sans ama for you.

I'm finishing off filling last of wire holes and hopefully will start glassing outside of hull next week. But I noticed when I pulled out cross members wires hull expanded about a 1/4 inch or so off crossmember panels.

Am I correct in guessing hull will be pulled back in later when members and cockpit pieces are re-inserted?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

correct!!
-Matt. Designer.
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

OK the number of holes I filled in seemed like twice what I drilled! :shock: Finally finished.

Some touch up remains , including filling in extra dagger board hole, and lots of sanding. But the good news is ( :D next week sometime) I have a experienced glass man arranged to come in and help this newbie glass the bottom.

The bad news is the gunnel panels warped a bit while hole filling. While I feel I will be able to pull the hull back onto the cross pieces as Matt says in his post I am worried about this warpage and glassing it.

View fwd:

View aft:

The panel warpage phenomena seems to have a thread of it's own:

viewtopic.php?t=2388&highlight=gunnel

Sparkie's post therein seems to imply adding a gunnel piece or at least something to straighten this warpage out before glassing the hull.

Matt? What about using the coaming? Is there some that could be attached on a temporary basis? Is so which pieces?

Or do I need something else?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

You'll need to use something .5" x .5" under the deck and .5" x 1" in the cockpit area.

Instructions are just about done. They'll spell out the sequence.
-Matt. Designer.