Dan's Pelagic

Builder show and discuss their progress.
AlohaDan
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by AlohaDan »

Putting on final touches for outside glassing.. My guy Gill is available to help.

Are instructions ready?
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Dan,

I am guessing you will need sheer clamps on the edge of your top panel to glue the decks to. I would be installing them if she were my build.

These will eliminate most of the warpage. Your deck, properly cut ad trimmed will eliminate the rest of it.

Have no fear mate. Its all good. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

Mick

Like this?

http://members.tripod.com/chesapeake16/id47.htm

Problem is I don't know yet what Matt has in mine.

Hey Matt you on trip?
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Yeah mate, something like that. I would use something like clear timber, 3/4" X 1/4"

Serves two purposes,

1. acts like a sort of mini inside gunwhale to fair out the curves and strengthen the side a bit.

2. Most importantly, it gives a wider glueing surface for your deck to stick to. (very hard to fillet inside once the decks are on.)

Not trying to pre-empt Matt here. I haven't seen the drawings, or the build instructions and I am only assuming from Matts other plans that shear clamps are necessary on this one.

The brand in your link, while fine boats, offer inferior build instructions and methodoligy to what you get here. (IMHO)
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I am traveling at the moment.
-Matt. Designer.
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

No problem for awhile anyway.. I figured out a temporary rig to get rid of the upper panel warpage- at least enough to glass the outside.

I have plenty of bamboo. Figured I'd just slide a small square of plastic under clamp (I'll us more clamps and release one at a time as I roll out glass.)

AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

The bamboo "spring" worked pretty good on the port side when a saturation coat was applied to the panel. But had to go ahead and put in some gunnels as Mick suggested to push them all fairly even. Even now there is a small wiggl or tw,

Gill & I finished the first outside glassing today. Pics later.

Still need my directions before I can proceed beyound cleaning up the outside surface.
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

For those that followed the discussion in the design section on a different Mirage Drive hold down device see this post on Hobie's new "Click & Drive" device.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 0f9b65ab69

Also a note to other newbies like myself. Have more faith in your own abilities. I hate to say it, but I am having to do one hell of a sand job cleanup on the guy I brought in to assist.
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

AlohaDan wrote: I am having to do one hell of a sand job cleanup on the guy I brought in to assist.
That could be very painful :lol: :lol:

Cheers Mike
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

I hate to say it, but I am having to do one hell of a sand job cleanup on the guy I brought in to assist.
This is why we do our own fibreglassing mate.
Regards,
Mick