Dan's Pelagic

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

Love the lines on her, Matt :D :D
Look forward to when it becomes available.

Cheers Mike
AlohaDan
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by AlohaDan »

Somehow this didn't take on my first post attempt. ( I could have closed window in Preview?)

While waiting for the dye (it's arrived), I tried doing some stitching with the cross sections to the panel strips using the #1's.

I thought the first two looked OK.

But they don't really lineup.

I'm pretty sure my placement measurements are OK. I'll check them again.

But what else could I be doing wrong?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Hard to tell what I'm looking at in those pictures. Can you put a small pencil mark by each point of the frame?
-Matt. Designer.
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Dan,
What size ply have you used for the Mirage drive housing in the foreground of the last pic :?:

Matt,
are the drive housing plans being sold separately - maybe I can scrollsaw them before I put my shed up :lol:

cheers Mike
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I will be selling these separate. Dan mentioned they were a little tight in some spots. I'll have to get up with him to find out where they need opening up.
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

AlohaDan wrote:But they don't really lineup.

I'm pretty sure my placement measurements are OK. I'll check them again.

But what else could I be doing wrong?
Dan;
Are you wondering why the horizontal and vertical lines drawn on the first frame are not parallel with the ones drawn on the second frame (shown in your last photo)?
Just two panels stitched together is still pretty flimsy and twisty. The more panels you stitch together, the hull will become more stable & ridged and that twist will start to work itself out. Then it will me a matter of loosening & tightening stitches to get the last little bit of twist out.

But if that is not what you were questioning, please clarify.

DM
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

Matt

Here you are:

#1 is back, #2 closest.

DM

Precisely my fear. I'll try adding a third, but it sure seems awful weird.

Manji

Matt provided it. Measures 7/16", but maybe it's metric.

Not in a position to mess around with drive at this time, but when I tack glued it for fit, anything that needed to be moved a bit was done easily using dremel.
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

Matt

Here you are:

#1 is back, #2 closest.

DM

Precisely my fear. I'll try adding a third, but it sure seems awful weird.

Manji

Matt provided it. Measures 7/16", but maybe it's metric.

Not in a position to mess around with drive at this time, but when I tack glued it for fit, anything that needed to be moved a bit was done easily using dremel.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I still don't quite grasp what you concern is. It's probably right in front of my face but I'm not seeing it. If you're worried the frame look a little crooked right now, that will take care of itself when you stitch on the other panels.

Can you reword? Maybe another pic with a pencil or stick pointing at the issue?

Sorry I'm dense tonight. :oops:
-Matt. Designer.
Teddy Madison

Post by Teddy Madison »

I get it!

If you trace a line down the vertical center line on #1 you will see that it diverges away from the center line on #2 as you head towards the bottom.

Looks like there isn't enough hull there to worry yet and the bottom is just twisting.
Wayne
-------------
Free Laker - In Progress!!!