Jodie's T-V

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mick,

Sounds like you have quite a store of wood available there. Do you deliver to Texas?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Jack,

The price of quality ply here has more than trippled since my last order. It is all imported. I stocked up before yet another price rise. Did the same with resin and cloth too.

Our quarrantine laws forbind timber products coming in country without being "treated" with some chemical or other.

I stuffed up big time yesterday.

I couldn't find my resporator easily in the chinese brothel that I call a shed so, I went ahead and cut and trimmed the panels without one, rather than spend the time necessary to find it. - bloody stupid.

I am quite ill now, with a sore throat and coughing up lots of fine sawdusty looking stuff. Feels like a flu, but I think I have poisoned myself and if I don't improve fairly quickly, will seek medial aid. Sitting by the fire here at the moment feeling like hell. It is a cold, wet and windy day here and is nearly as miserable outside, as I am in here in the warmth.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Mick what the heck kind of a saw blade you use that spits out that much dust?

:P

Fell better, mate.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Matt,

I use a 18 volt, battery powered circular saw. The blade has a real fine kerf and is ideal for gutting a lot of panels. My router table has no dust extraction - yet. Working to resolve that.

They both throw a lot of saw dust. The router was trimming 3 panels at a time, 12mm of timber total and was pulling a lot of timber off with each cut and throwing it everywhere.

My ply is Malaysian and/or Chinese made and goodness only knows what they "treated" it with for it to be allowed into this country.

Thinking about doing a thread in tips and tricks, specifically targeted at necessary PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) Thing is, I KNOW this stuff and teach it at my work. I was just too darn lazy and stupid yesterday to take the time to apply my own rules to myself and am paying for it today.

Starting to feel a little better. Have coughed up a LOT of horrible looking stuff with lots of saw dusty looking particulate in it. Sorry about the gory detail, but I only hope somebody reads this and learns from my stupidity.

As soon as I feel well enough, will be administering several sharp uppercuts. :lol:
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I do know for international shipping standards, wood pallets have to be heat treated.

You might be sucking up the glue or something.

That or you're not listening and still putting woodflour in your beer.
-Matt. Designer.
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Geez Mick, That's no good..
Hope you throw it off soon and get back on your feet.....and in the shed
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mick, two things.

(1) Next time use a bandanna at least - like the banditos in the Old West.

(2) I feel so bad about our condition, that I am running RIGHT NOW to get a drink of Scotch. You will feel better mo damned sukoshe!
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

AAHHHhhhh there now. Doesn't that feel better already? And, David, your finger is better now too. Aye god that Talisker does good work.

No thanks necessary.
Kayak Jack
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

That or you're not listening and still putting woodflour in your beer.
:shock: :shock: Doesn't everybody? :P

OldSnapper and Jack thanks fellers, I feel a bit better now. Jack, You are too kind mate. :lol:

Tis cold and bleak here today but I really am starting to feel a little better. I went down the shed and found my old resperator and did a little more.

I now have the top, or tumble home panels stuck together.

gonna have a glass of port and go have a lie down while that sets up.
Regards,
Mick

lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

Hey Mick...

Have you talked to Austral Plywood or Sharp Plywood in Brisbane?

They both Manufacture Plywood here in Brisbane, and I know they have marine ply in their product range. Sharp Plywood have it in thicknesses from 1.5mm up to 12mm. I'm not sure off the top of my head what the prices are like, or what you'd have to pay for freight, but hey might be worth a call, if you don't want to have to deal with imported ply anymore.
Andrew