Barry's Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
bqbowden

Barry's Laker

Post by bqbowden »

Well, I have started my Laker (free plans). As near as I can tell, there are several steps in building this boat:

1. Measure and draw
2. Cut
3. Sand
4. Some assembly required
5. Stich and glue
6. Sand
7. Lay fiberglass
8. Sand
9. Repeat 7 & 8 (yes, I know this is not exactly what happens)
10. paint or varnish
11. Get 'er wet

I have started steps 1 & 2 on my first sheet. Now I have to go back to Home Depot with my brother (he has the truck) to get two more sheets and finish cutting. It seems step 1 was difficult, but not impossible. I must have read the instructions a dozen times before drawing things up. Then once I started I kept asking myself what have I gotten myself into.

Then, I started cutting. I started with a hand saw, then a circular saw and lastly a jig saw. The jig works best for me as long as I do not get in a hurry.

So, now I have all of these pieces laying on the floor. I kept looking at the bulkheads and thought, "how is my big butt gonna fit in this dang thing?". I wanted a boat which would not be as confining as a regular kayak and the pictures from Mick's build showed there would be plenty of room. But, I was committed :lol: so I kept going. When I saw I had half of the deck cut and laid them out, I "sat" in the seat and was very pleased with the space I was seeing. So now, I have the beginnings of a decent little boat.

Now, I have a question. I have decided to make things a little easier when I build my second boat, so I am making cardboard templates so I will not have to measure out my parts for my second boat. Has anyone else thought of doing this? I know there will be a second boat once I get done and thought this would save me some time.

I have questions about laying fiberglass as well as finding a good source, but that can wait. So far, the instructions are very good and I have not had any problems yet.

[img]H:\My%20Pictures\07082008\DSCF0151[/img]
Here is my first sheet with my lines finished and ready to cut.

Barry
Durham, North Carolina
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Glad to hear about your progress!

some folks make patterns from cheap ply and then trace them on their good ply. I think it's a good idea.

To post pics, you'll have to sign up for a free account on a picture hosting site like www.photobucket.com or www.snapfish.com.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Barry,

Welcome to the world of home building boats. It is no more difficult than if you follow a set of directions to bake a cake, or make a simple shirt from scratch. Just takes longer, that's all.

Your first boat is a real learning experience. My first one was a kit, and I held back for two months on that! You are already ahead of where I was at that time.

A power jig saw is handy; I cut out things with my Japanese hand saw. And, my cordless drill has a little crank on the side - it's an eggbeater drill. Only power tool you REALLY need is a sander. That - you cannot do without.

Again, welcome to building our own boat. Just wait until you paddle it, go camping in it, fish from it, etc.......
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
lark2004
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lark2004 »

I think you missed a few of the sanding steps in that list....there should be alot more than just three of them, sometimes thre or four sanding steps in a row, then one more for luck :P
Andrew
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Yep,

You are NEVER finishe sanding mate.

Welcome to the dark side. :lol:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

In addition to your 11 step building plan you should allow at least one hour a day to simply stand by your boat no matter what stage you are at and think Wow! I will personally guarantee you will do this. :roll:
Teddy Madison

Post by Teddy Madison »

john the pom wrote:In addition to your 11 step building plan you should allow at least one hour a day to simply stand by your boat no matter what stage you are at and think Wow! I will personally guarantee you will do this. :roll:
I can second that! I spent an hour last night fairing up fillets and then another 1/2 hour just checking her out. Oh, and then another hour checking out plans for the next one. ;)

Wayne
Wayne
-------------
Free Laker - In Progress!!!
Har_Laker

Supplies

Post by Har_Laker »

Barry,
I'm about two down in a series of three lakers. Cardboard is fine for tracing the patterns but ply is better. It will last while during the month to six weeks it will take you to get to the second kayak.
I got some decent 30" 3.7 lb fiberglass from www.fiberglasssupply.com I'm not sure if that is the exact address if it doesn't work google it. They were charging under $3 a yard.
Cheapest place for hardware and shock cord is Duckworks. I did the first two kayaks with polyester resin and bondo for about $100 per. Bondo is ready made filleting material.
For the third kayak I'm going to use non blushing epoxy. I got a three gallon kit from www.jgreer.com for $128 plus shipping
I got some decent beginner paddles ship to store from walmart for about $14 each. They are steel shafts with plastic ends and give you three different angle options. Nice beginner paddles.
JEM sells some very comfortable looking seats.

A word of caution on the seat platform. Keep it as low as possible. It effects the performance big time.

Also when you hear people talking about removing excess resin when you are laying the fiberglass take it to heart. It will cut down on the sanding, sanding, sanding, and sanding.:)

There are some very good videos on you tube. Search wood boat building before you put down your glass.

Good Luck,

Jeff
Last edited by Har_Laker on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Jeff
The link on the glass didnt work check it if you don't mind.
Ron
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Ron, the comma that got added to the end of http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/ messed up the link.

Jimmy