Touring T-V (SS) Electric

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tw541
Type of boat I like: All boats

Touring T-V (SS) Electric

Post by tw541 »

I am finally getting started on my pair of electric fishing pirogues. It is probably a stretch of the definition to call this boat a pirogue, but it is based on the Touring T-V, with a square stern for mounting a 50+ lb thrust trolling motor. I requested maximum stability and the ability to carry 400 lbs. I wanted the boat to be around 12 feet long but still have the basic look of the Touring T. I think this boat is going to be just what I want. I can honestly say that I have been planning something like this boat for many years. I knew what I wanted the boat to do, but could not find anything available even close to this. I am excited about what Matt came up with for me. This boat is going to be wide for stability, but short for manueverability in timber. I am going to use foot pedals for steering and a foot switch for motor on-off. I want hands free for serious fishing. These boats will be used on Millwood Lake in Arkansas when I retire in three years. I am building them to last for many years. I am using 6mm okoume on the bottom, and 4mm for the rest. Probably double layers of fiberglass inside and out.

These boats are definately different than the usual on this forum, as they are not being built to paddle. They are definately a special purpose boat, and I know they are not for everyone. I have owned many boats in my life, but am rapidly changing in what I like. I am selling my 150 hp bass boat, and these electrics will be my main fishing boats. I started out many years ago in a wooden pirogue my grandfather gave me, and I am getting close to going back to that. Neither my wife nor I can paddle a boat like we could a few decades ago. We still enjoy it for short trips. I often say that my wife enjoys boats as much as I do, but that may not be true. With her, a boat is a tool to help her catch fish. To me, fishing is an excuse to use my boats. I just completed a Swamp Girl and have had a lot of fun with it already. After I complete these electrics, I have the plans for the 16.5' Sasquatch that I will start. I have never felt that I should limit myself to only one or two boats, I usually have a yard full. I don't really have that much done yet, but wanted to get this thread started.

I have the frames ready and one of each panel cut as a pattern. I cut out one of each panel from cheap plywood as a pattern, to minimize waste with the expensive okoume. It would take three sheets to build one boat, but I can build two from only five sheets. This cheap plywood I cut the patterns from wants to curl up, so I attached it to a 2X4 with a few screws to hold it flat until I use it.

I decided to use the good stuff for these boats, as I plan to use them for a long time.

I will order fiberglass and epoxy tomorrow. I'm still debating whether to use 6 or 4 ounce glass. I will use two layers on the bottom and inside on the floor. On these boats, strength is more important than light weight.
Last edited by tw541 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
tw541

Post by tw541 »

I finally got a chance to work on these two boats today. Between disasters at work and family that came visiting, I have not been able to do much. At least the weather was good today, with a high temperature of only 84. Yesterday it got up to 113, and it was 110 the day before. It's just warming up for the real summer here in the desert. Makes it hard to build boats. I've got to work REAL fast with the epoxy. I think on my next days off, I will figure out how to air condition my garage. Normal summer temps here are 115 to 118. The afternoon sun shines directly on the garage door in this photos. It hits 130+ in this garage in the afternoon in July through September.. Not much fun. Arizona is a great place to visit, but living here year round is a little different.

I've actually gotten a lot done the last 3 days. There are two boats on this table, doesn't look like now.

I started out using galvanized wire to tie the panels. I like the idea of only having a 1/16" hole to fill. It would look better on a boat finished bright. I really don't like the way the wire works though, so I switched back to the 4" zip ties like I used on the Swamp Girl. For me at least, they are much easier to use. These boats are going to be camoflauged anyway. On a boat I wanted to finished bright, I would use the wire and smaller holes.

Bottom panels together.

Side and tumblehome panels on. I am amazed how much easier this boat goes together than the Swamp Girl. The Swamp Girl was my first stitch and glue boat, and I thought it went together easy. This boat is much quicker to assemble.

I'm going to put a deck on the front, just don't know how big yet. A front storage compartment would be useful.

Last edited by tw541 on Thu May 22, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
coogzilla
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by coogzilla »

She's coming together pretty damn good Terry.
I always overbuild everything too. Kind of habit, I suppose.

Coogs 8)
JEMWATERCRAFT:
Touring Pirogue-
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Geez Terry,

You do nice work mate.

Re the heat, Have you tried working on your boats at night? i find it a very big help here in the heat.

any chance of a side on shot please. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

For the stitch part , using wires , I use copper wire , it is easy to work with.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tw541

Post by tw541 »

I finally got a little more done on these boats. What hurts is the weather. After a few days of 110+, it has been cool the last few days. The high today was 76. I wish I was ready to do the fiberglass, it would have been a good time to do it. My epoxy and fiberglass is supposed to be here Tuesday or Wednesday, It will be back to 100 degrees then.

This is not a small boat. It's only 12' long, but it's 30.5" wide on the bottom, and 36" beam. I got it tack welded today, and will start assembling the second boat tomorrow.

Mick, my garage isn't wide enough to get a good side on shot, but these are the best I can get now.

Terry
tw541

Post by tw541 »

I got quite a bit done today. I am trying to take advantage of this cool weather. It won't last for long.

I started assembling boat #2 this morning. I switched back to using the wires again instead of the zip ties. For some reason, I haven't been able to get them to hold the panels securely. I used the small 4" ties, maybe the larger ones would have worked better. Anyway for me, the wire and no spacers make it easiest to keep the panels aligned.

Starting hull #2.

Since these are identical boats, I was able to use the same temporary frames on both.

It's starting to resemble a boat.

Assembled, tied up, flipped and squared up, and tack welded all today. I still took a four hour break and went to town for lunch with my wife. Not a bad days work, I think. I may not be getting any better at this, but I am sure getting faster!

I am now out of epoxy until my order gets here tomorrow or the next day. I may take a day and go to the river.
Terry
tw541

Post by tw541 »

I finally got a little more done on these boats the last few days. I've had a flair up of the nerve damage in my left arm and have been taking it easy for a while. This problem is the reason for building electric boats anyway. I've tried, but can't seem to get the hang of paddling with one good arm. I do ok for a short distance, but I've never been a short distance fisherman. The doctor says he might can fix it with a sharp knife. I am not quite ready for that yet.

I was concerned that the boats sitting upside down was distorting the tumblehome panel more than I was comfortable with. It had a pretty good bend on both boats. I carefully flipped both boats and installed the inwales to support the panels. While I had them upright, I went ahead and did the inside fillets and sanding. I also built up the transom and installed side braces.

I went to Basspro Shops and bought two 50lb thrust Minnkotas. I will need to cut about 12 to 14 inches from each one. These should be plenty powerful for these light weight boats.

I hope to get more done in the next couple of days.
Terry
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Terry, I think you and the Missus will enjoy these boats. A race seems inevitable.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
tw541

Post by tw541 »

Jack, a race is inevitable. We have had many pirogue races over the last 30 something years. She has out paddled me many times in our light weight pirogues. I could always pass her in the straight stretches, but she would run off and leave me in the heavy timber. My wife is definately not a city girl. She is Cherokee and enjoys the wilderness at least as much as I do.

I have been thinking today about the need for foam flotation in these boats. Wood floats, but deep cycle batteries and trolling motors do not. I will be carrying about 150 lbs. of batteries and the motor weighs about 18 lbs. I think maybe I need to look into adding foam.
Terry