SABALO BUILD

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

[quote="hairymick"]I thought I posted this before.

Will shoot through graphite - no problem. :D

Gee Whiz :shock :shock:

This seems to prove my southern hemisphere theory :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for imput guys
Flump
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Flump »

scottrunnr wrote:That's amazing Flump that your fishfinder will shoot thru the ply. I was told by the manufacturer of my fishfinder (Eagle Cuda) not to shoot thru ply or graphite. Especially not ply. That's why I taped off the transducer cut-out area when applying graphite.
I also had my doubts after being told that a transducer wouldn't fire through plastic or fibreglass :shock: .........I don't think the manufacturers really have any idea that we use these things on a kayak and what the capabilities of their products are!!!! I run a standard Garmin 140 and it's been running in hull for over two years now without issue firing through the ply.

Provided you have no voids in your ply, are careful not to get too many bubbles in your epoxy/glass or graphite coats and are careful with the sealant sticking the transducer in it's fine in my yak :D

Apologies for off topic stuff.........
Build and paddle your own kayak - it doesn't get much better than that!
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Flump wrote:
scottrunnr wrote:That's amazing Flump that your fishfinder will shoot thru the ply. I was told by the manufacturer of my fishfinder (Eagle Cuda) not to shoot thru ply or graphite. Especially not ply. That's why I taped off the transducer cut-out area when applying graphite.
I also had my doubts after being told that a transducer wouldn't fire through plastic or fibreglass :shock: .........I don't think the manufacturers really have any idea that we use these things on a kayak and what the capabilities of their products are!!!! I run a standard Garmin 140 and it's been running in hull for over two years now without issue firing through the ply.

Provided you have no voids in your ply, are careful not to get too many bubbles in your epoxy/glass or graphite coats and are careful with the sealant sticking the transducer in it's fine in my yak :D

Apologies for off topic stuff.........

I live in the southern hemisphere the evidence seems to be conclusive (sorry Scott) :lol:

I'm reconfiguring the waterline on my boat raising it a bit amidships and...........................................I'm gonna graphite everything below the waterline :shock: :shock: :shock:
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Mate,

I had trouble shooting through the ply bottom of my wadefish.

I removed the ply to the same area as the transducer and filled it with woodflour/epoxy (thin,runny mix)

I do this with all my boats now and haven't had a problem. the transducer will shoot through the woodflour and epoxy and graphite - no problem at all,

I did a post on what I did here somewhere but I can't find it. sorry.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

hairymick wrote:Mate,

I had trouble shooting through the ply bottom of my wadefish.

I removed the ply to the same area as the transducer and filled it with woodflour/epoxy (thin,runny mix)

I do this with all my boats now and haven't had a problem. the transducer will shoot through the woodflour and epoxy and graphite - no problem at all,

I did a post on what I did here somewhere but I can't find it. sorry.
Mick how did you attach transducer to hull?
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Mick's post on it is here.
viewtopic.php?t=1812&start=75
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Finaly got last coat of epoxy on 8) :D :D

Now I've got to wet dry all that lovely gloss so I can varnish :( :shock:

I'm guessing graphite bottom don't need varnish

Scott in the end I decided to go with HM and Flump and graphite over transducer slot.............time will tell :shock:

Thanks for link Jimmy W I'm kinda thinking I might go for the silicone glue it in path........ as transducer is in bow storage area and I want to try to keep it dry(storage area that is)

Maybe its not important........ boat might sink on first outing then everything gets wet :lol: :lol: :lol:(no ofence ment Matt) :oops:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

wow!!!!!
-Matt. Designer.
Jimmy W

Re: SABALO BUILD

Post by Jimmy W »

WOW is right, that is a good looking boat.
bronco302

Re: SABALO BUILD

Post by bronco302 »

Another great looking boat welldone.

Joe W.