Moon's Laker 13...here we go.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I edited out the competitor references.
-Matt. Designer.
moon306
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by moon306 »

Oops, good point , I guess that is a competitor. Well, no business from me anyway, allegiance is here. I'll keep that in mind when posting.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Moon,

That sounds extra-ordinarily dear to me mate. I still would ask them to add a sheet of the cheap stuff.

freight should be the same.

Re my/our Lakers, thank you! 8)

The green one is mine and was made from cheap(very) ply that was very pale. I stained it with a water based cedar stain.

The purple one is Robin's. I used Gaboon (Okoume)BS1088 on it and left the deck the natural colour.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
moon306

Post by moon306 »

If staining the wood, do the seams stick out?

Mick, do you have any close up pictures of the top of the stained and non-stained version? I am concerned about getting a nice clean finish with the seams. In my woodworking experience, glued or puttied areas never take a stain or varnish very well, but I have never worked with this type of epoxy method either.
moon306

Post by moon306 »

Ok, disregard my last post. I found enough pictures in the builder log to satisfy my needs and concerns about stain and finish. I think I am going with a painted bottom and a natural finish on the deck.

I do have one other question. Looks to me that the frames are simply created to hold the proper shape of the boat and then they become the supports by trimming off the tops. That is of course assuming I do not want a sealed bulk head. Is this all correct? If so, I was going to make the frames out of something cheap. I will not be creating a sealed bulk head on this boat. Thanks.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

yep!
-Matt. Designer.
moon306

Post by moon306 »

Wow, the cost of epoxy is crazy. This will be officially delaying my build. I will be cutting the plywood soon, but that is about as far as I will be for a few weeks as I purchase the necessary epoxy and fiberglass cloth over pay days. :cry:
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Moon,
Shop around for Epoxy mate. The price can vary wildly from place to place.
I'm talking 200+% difference for the exact same stuff. Be ruthless. It's your money, make em earn it.

Al
moon306

Post by moon306 »

Well, I found a local place that sells epoxy. They only sell the MAS products which after searching through this forum, I read they seem to work well. It is currently priced at 77 dollars per gallon, which after shopping around online looks like a decent price. Add 7 percent tax to that of course. The nice thing about local is I can by a very small amout to do my splices and get the feel for the product before I buy the full amount required.

Looks like I am back on, although my shipped plywood appears to be lost somewhere near New York.
moon306

Post by moon306 »

One question on splicing the panels. In the tutorial it states "Apply resin to the edges of the panels. Remember: It is critical in Stitch and Glue building that ALL wood surfaces be covered with epoxy. " Do I need to wait for the epoxy to cure after coating the butts? or can I move straight to adding my flour and creating the splice?