Sasquatch 14 x 30 build.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Har_Laker
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Har_Laker »

Chuck

Good looking boat!
I used 16' pine strips for my shear strips. I got it at home depot. I think it is door stop trim.

Beautiful work!

Jeff
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I like them because you can bend and twist them to the way you want them , plus they look good on a boat when epoxied and are light weight. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

After some more epoxy and lots of sanding ... I have the end fillets on the bow and stern sections. Will let them cure , then some more sanding to shape them and finally will be able to glass the hull on the outside. :D :D :D

Glassing the hull will let me decide which way to go from there on some ideas I have.:roll:

Two things for building a boat , epoxy and more epoxy then epoxy and wood flour and more epoxy with sanding sprinkled in between each layer.
The end fillets are red wood flour and epoxy since I wanted a darker fillet on the ends.

Chuck.
Remember:
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

Now the fun starts. Will let the glass hang for a day and in the morning , hit it with the epoxy and the canoe will be 90% done.

Chuck.
Remember:
Chalk
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Chalk »

Looking good Chuck
Eat.Sleep.Fish[Be the Fish]
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Chucky,

Ya are torturing me mate. :shock: The inside of your boat is bloody spectacular!

As usual, you have raised the bar yet again.

Talk to me mate about your using spacers for only half the boat. I am sure there is a very good reason but I just can't think of it.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mick...

I'm trying to keep the weight down , NO ... the Boat , not me. :lol: So I was thinking that having the spacers in the middle part , only , would save a little weight and allow water to drain out when she is on her side and being washed after a trip.

Besides I have never tried that before and wanted to see what it looked like and to my amazement , I like the looks of it. It is something different , especially the way the wood pulled in after the last spacer and on down to the ends of the canoe.

When the canoe is done I will take better pictures of the things I have done so folks can see them without guessing.

I guess the best explanation is just some nut building a boat and doing things differently. :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

It is back looking like a canoe again , nice ..WET.. epoxy sure is shinny. :lol:

Wet out the glass and when I got to the last panels , I trimmed the excess glass then did the panels. Let them sit for 20 minutes and went in with a razor knife and trimmed the rest off along the bottom of the rail. Rolled it again and it matched right up with the rail and epoxied any scratch from the knife blade.

Two more coats (two more days) and it will be ready for some trim work.

Chuck.
Remember:
coogzilla

Post by coogzilla »

Lookin real good Chuck. Thats a good lookin boat.

Coogs
JEMWATERCRAFT:
Touring Pirogue-
Tor

Post by Tor »

OK next time let's not let chuck start first.

That is one hell of a good looking boat and excellent work.

Certainly a high standard to match if I get half way there I'll be happy and gee the picture will make it easier, thanks.

Tor