Hunter's TouringPirogueT

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hunter

Hunter's TouringPirogueT

Post by hunter »

I started this a bit differently. Of course right?
Since I've had difficulty finding good luan to use I decided to cut out a pattern using my directions first, then use the patterns and my router (and pattern bits) to cut out my actual canoe panels.

I selected half inch MDF for my pattern material. For the floor of the canoe I laid it out IAW the build instructions and then cut just off the line with my jig saw. Using my P&G finish sander I sanded down to the lines. This gave me nice smooth edges to the floor patterns.

For the other panels pattern I decided to use the trick I read about here and used a piece of molding to give me a form for the curves and use my router. I didn't have any molding laying around so a trip to 84 Lumber solved that. They had the coolest plastic molding! And it bends easily to form curves. This is working much faster and I should have all of my pattern pieces cut out today. Then it's time to take a break and clean up the mess from cutting and sanding. If time allows I will be at Lowes picking out my luan.

Yes I decided on luan after all. Bottom line was it just makes more sense, money sense. If I had traveled to pick up the okuome (sp?) four pieces would have cost me about $350.00. At that cost I can by twice as much luan than I need so I can pick and choose what I want to use. And only spending 75 dollars.

Pictures to come soon, I'm taking some today and will get them downloaded the the pictures webpage I use (webshots) by the end of this weekend.

Question: What size washers is the 'norm' to use for the stitching phase of the build?

The goal for this holiday weekend is to have the TPT stitched together. We'll see though as I'm working slow.
hunter

Post by hunter »

Here is a link to the picture webpage I use. This will allow you to see the entire album of pictures that I have taken thus far and save some band width here.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/563998244XKatGT

If that direct link doesn't work go here

http://community.webshots.com/user/Canon4500

and just open up the album for yourself. Or any album for that matter.

Enjoy!
hunter

Post by hunter »

UPDATE:

I attained the wood today from our local Lowes. Took me hours to dig out the seven 4x8 sheets, but I think it was worth it.

The lady at the counter kept calling it '1088' and is a 3 ply type 1 exterior glue A/B plywood.

The goal this week is to get the pieces cut out.

H