TRR LAKER 15' 5'' A

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Guys
Thanks for the thumbs up.
The only thing I might do if I built another one would be drop the back deck a inch at the cockpit on the rear , I think that would give her a more rakish look .
Weighed the finished boat tonight 47 1/2 lbs
That will work for me
Matt again thanks for a splendid design
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

great work!!!!
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I have to get a name for this boat, there are so many Lakers around :lol:
Took a saw to her this afternoon cut the hatch opening and started glueing in the lips, using the same size hatch openings as I have used on the last three boats it works well.
In a couple more weeks I will give her one more sanding and then put on the varnish.
Ron
PS for extended trips the T-V will be the boat for one or two day trips are races think this will be the one
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Finally got time to post the last set of pics
Holes cut for hatches and first shim glued in

Gluing in the bottom lip

fits pretty good

Elastic cords in place

I need to go play with her some more and get her trimed just like I want
I will let her sit a few days then sand some more and put on the varnish.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

The Laker 15 5 aka cuda got some time on a Lake today several hours with a single blade paddle and a while with my double blade, now I am not one to start a contraversy :twisted: but this ole red neck don't like the single blade for flat water, now on the river with a current behind you might be different.
The Cuda shined it is livley and when you dig in she will jump and fly I love this boat, the glide is awsome . We had a little cross wind the cuda never was fazed at all.
I hate to say this but I think the T-V just got bumped into second place.
Cameron , one of the fellows I took paddled all four of the boats and his comment when he got back in was I cant believe how easy that one is to paddle.

I am one happy paddler
Ron
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Good for you, Ronnie. Tough to have a couple boats vying for position of "best in the stable".
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
tx river rat

Re: TRR LAKER 15' 5'' A

Post by tx river rat »

The Cuda does her stuff.
I took the Cuda out with a bunch of guys this Saturday for a little paddle. We had a mixture of boats, several sit on top yaks a wenona 14 ft canoe , a loon tandem, a 16 ft canoe , I think about 12 boats in all .
Folks I am in love with this yak it is such a pleasure to paddle.
After a couple miles we pulled off on a big sand bar and some started fishing , I threw my pfd and paddle on top of the Cuda and told them to try her out . Believe it or not all of them took a turn in her they fell in love with the boat. Matt should be a lot of lurkers for a while and some builders.
As we paddled on down the river to take out I laughed as a couple guys behind me were talking , one said dam look at Ronnie he is just goofing off paddling half the time and we are paddling hard just trying to stay up with him. :lol:
Ron
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

How did Greyloons Memorial go? I wanted to attend but family matters prevented it.
Darrell Sykora
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Darrel it went well. Wish you could have been there
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Part of the boats at the take out

Ron