TRR LAKER 15' 5'' A

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

TRR LAKER 15' 5'' A

Post by tx river rat »

Matt
Thanks for getting these to me so fast.
Well here we go again a Laker 15 5 is about to be born.
Tomorrow will go get the wood and start cutting and laying out the hull.
I am getting excited already , oh before we get to far into this it will be my standard build. :lol: .
Off to the box store and then the fun starts.
Ron
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Got some time to work on the 15 5 today. I am going to show some pics of the layout just for the new guys.
First layed out the twelve inch lines on the ply

then measure of the points from Matts Plans I drove finishing nail in at the intersecting points and then used a piece of molding to follow the curve, clamping them to the nail

the last pic is after the lines are scribed on the ply

Broke out the ole jig saw and started cutting ,got sides and bottom cut and sanded smooth, stations cut out, I am ready to start splicing the
panels,will try to do that and a little stitching tomorrow
Ron
PS I know this is cheap laun but it sure has some pretty grain to
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Panels sliced
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Moving right along got the stations stiched in

another angle

started stiching the bottom on

Man this thing is long and lean just looks speedy sitting there

Might get a little of my filets run tonight.
Matt which splice should I measure back to set my seat of off the bottom or side splice.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

From the bottom splice looks like it's the sweet spot. But test it before permanently attaching to be sure.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Filets run on outside and inside

cutting bulkheads for cockpit
Ron
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Looking good Ron. You are right it does look long, lean and fast 8)
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Got the inside glassed , end pours in,started fitting the decks , tacked them and pulled them off, glassed the backside.
Putting decks on and glueing them

trimming and sanding decks to shape of the boat

Is looking long and lean
more latter
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Everyone needs to know what's going on here:

I only provided Ron the drawings for the lower hull. He's installing the deck by hand and by eye. And doing a mighty fine job of it!

That boy has got some skills! 8) 8)
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Matt
Thanks for the thumbs up.
I went and took the measurements I cut off 2 1/2 inches in height on the nose and tapered that back to nothing at 52 inches from the nose.
that gives about a 9 inch height on bow and stern, bye not peaking the front deck I lost a little over an inch in height and bringing the deck to a point gives me 3 3/4 inches of sloop from the cockpit to the nose that should be plenty to shed water from a wave, and I am hoping the lower profile and being balanced from front to back on the decks will cut weather cocking to a minimum, and help some more bucking head winds.
We will see
Ron
Ps I think the asymetrical and the decks are goig to give this yak a lot of eye apeal