Hairymicks Swampgirl

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mick

Question? ................ With the seats in the boat are the thwarts necessary? Or just one located at the center of the Girl?
It looks to me like the seats would do the same job for you and let you open the boat up with more room in it.

Just kicking an idea around............

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Chuck,

Yeah mate, I had thought of that but then realized this is going to be mainly a fishin boat for skinny water.

I needed somewhere to mount rod holders/cutting board - and of course a beer can holder. :D

I don't particularly like my seat set up but with padding and a removable back rest will be comfortable enough. While I don't plan to paddle a lot of miles in her on any given day, I do plan to spend all day in her so she need to be as comfortable as I can make her.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

I Blooded her today. Now she is a boat. What an excellent skinny water fishing boat she is. I am in love with this little girl.

A couple of final piccies. :D

Regards,
Mick

ausie

swampgirl

Post by ausie »

Mangrove Jack Mick?

Al.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Nah mate, Australian Bass.

Mate this boat is amazing. At allmost 16 feet it is about 1/3 lighter than a 14 foot fibreglass canoe I have. It tracks better, is more manouverable and less affected by winds. It truly is a delight to paddle and to fish from.

We are organizing a big camp-out and paddling week end in a couple of weeks at a colleagues property on the Burrum River (freshwater reach)
I can't wait to show her off and encourage a few potential builders to become enlightened. :D

There has been a lot of interest in my little project at my work and I think a gentle push might be all it takes.

There will be a hungi with lots of musical kiwis and the odd adult beverage So should be a great week-end.
Regards,
Mick

surfman

Post by surfman »

Nice job, I like the looks of the swamp girl, have fun on your camp out.