Painted's Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
paintedmidnight

Painted's Laker

Post by paintedmidnight »

Well this will be my first build :D and I'm extremely excited. I have everything to build this project and the first sheet of ply is cut out and the next two traced out. I hope by this weekend I'll be able to post some more progress and pictures, but lets see how that plays out between work and class (college student).

Painted
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Painted and welcome aboard mate.

I am certain you are going to love your Laker.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

8) 8) 8)
-Matt. Designer.
paintedmidnight

Well things might get delayed with the cutting because my jig saw is currently out of commission, so I'm going to have to continue the cutting later this week. Two sheets down one to go.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Painted, get yourself a Japanese hand saw. they work even when the electricity doesn't. Handiest design has rip on one side, and crosscut on the other.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
paintedmidnight

I'm planning on getting a Japanese hand saw for the hatches anyways, so I could just do what you say and cut the rest with the hand saw.
The jig saw didn't die because of electricity problems, it was just an old one that had a hard life when my dad used to use it on construction sites, so oh well.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

When you get the Japanese hand saw, use a pair of pliers and break off the outside corners. This exposes the teeth at the very end, and you can start a cut in the middle of a board as easily as along an edge. A Japanese carpenter taught me that trick.

He also introduced me to sake, but that's another story.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
paintedmidnight

well here are some pictures
yay when I got my wood
drawing process
I wanted to see if it looked like a boat and then my cats decided to claim it as theirs :roll:

I have all but a few pieces sanded so progress is being made.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Hummmmm
I just realized , while looking at the above pics,I have never laid out a cockpit or deck from a set of prints. Maybe I have a mental block here.
Great start to a great boat.Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

the cats are not included in the plans.
-Matt. Designer.