Painted's Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
paintedmidnight

Re: Painted's Laker

Post by paintedmidnight »

Well its been awhile, but progress has been made!! There is graphite on the bottom, frames installed ( one is only support for the deck the other is a solid bulkhead), deck assembled and fiberglassed its underside.

I still have a ways to go, but I'm glad my kayak is looking like a kayak :D
paintedmidnight

Well my spring semester finals are over and now its time to get to work. I finished attaching the deck and in the process ran out of my wood flour. I don't know if it is me, but I've used double (ok lost a little to the wind :oops: ) what the instructions said and still ran out. I went ahead and sub in some wheat flour. The seams came out fine, but with a lighter color. I will hide this later by epoxying on a fine dark blue ribbon along the seam where I joined the deck to hide my two tone fillet. I have also fiberglassed the deck too.

Coaming wise, I winged some new plans. The ones I received for the free Laker plans was an up right coaming. I would prefer in cold or rough conditions to be able to add a spray skirt. Once my deck was on I used cardboard to create a stencil. There are 3 in all, one for each side and one for the back. The top lip of the coaming is 1 1/2 inches wide.

I'll try to add pictures later.

Thanks,
Painted
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

This boat is looking good..............inlays are great........did you rought a circle to set them in the bow panels :shock:
paintedmidnight

No, my inlays are onlays. With the layers of epoxy and sanding you cant tell that it did not make them inlays. 3 coats of epoxy and I can sand the surface smooth.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

paintedmidnight wrote:No, my inlays are onlays.
If they were of Bullfighters they could "ohlay's" . :lol: :P :mrgreen:
-Matt. Designer.
paintedmidnight

WOW all those smilies are soooo appropriate :lol: .
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

paintedmidnight wrote:No, my inlays are onlays. With the layers of epoxy and sanding you cant tell that it did not make them inlays. 3 coats of epoxy and I can sand the surface smooth.
Interesting.............hhmmm........ Jem builders just keep evolving new tecniques and ways to do things 8)
paintedmidnight

I applied the coaming and there are 3, 3/4 inch strips with a 1 1/2 inch piece on top. It looks like a big enough lip for a spray skirt if it is needed. I still need to apply more layers of epoxy and a lot more sanding till I fill in the weave and disguise the seam where the deck was fiberglassed. I also applied a ribbon to hide my two toned fillet.

Painted
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Looking good PM.

The colour is a lot lighter in the second pic - is that how it looks "live"?
I like it - gives a nice contrast with the fillets (and ribbon) 8) .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
paintedmidnight

Thanks, the first picture looks darker because of a shadow. I'm really happy its pretty much water ready minus a few accessories and some varnish. :D BTW if anyone is curious the coaming is a different color than the body of the boat. I did a stain on the body of the kayak and left the coaming natural color for a contrasting look.

Painted