Hairie's Okwata 15 X 26 LC

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Hairie's Okwata 15 X 26 LC

Post by hairymick »

OK,

Where was I?

Oh yeah,

Got a little more done this morning till it got too hot to do much of anything.

All the panel stitches are out and preliminary sanding is done. Re filleted where the stitches were and cut a couple of tacks to get the final fairing right on the bottom centre seam. For some reason lately, I allways seem to have trouble getting this one just right the first time.

After cutting the tacks with a hack saw blade, I push and pull the panels into the rights shape and prop it with wedges to hold it in place.

It is well worth going to the extra trouble to get the hull shape right at this stage. It will make all the difference in the way the boat performs later.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :shock: this also works to help keep the panels level with each other.

While this was setting up, I marked and cut my sheer clamps.

I like the lines this one is taking.

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Big storm here this afternoon. All gone now :D

Started installing the sheer clamps tonight.

I am using strips of my gaboon ply this time. Will be using two layers.

first layer is in.

Left over wood flour gets put to good use. Started on the end fillets. 8)

Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Back at it again today.

I have changed the build sequence a little in an attempt to be a little more effecient.

Normally, I have applied fibreglass and epoxy to the outside of the hull at this stage to allmost completion.

This time, I have turned the boat over and done the interior fillets allmost up to the temp frames.

Dry fitted the second and final layer of ply strip for my shear clamps.

and glued them in.

My reasoning for this is pretty simple.

Next stage will be to dry fit panel 3 and the decks, stitch and tack them together. Then, I can take the decks off and fibreglass the inside of both the decks and the hull at the same time. This should cut the wait time in half and in turn, make for a quicker build. That is the plan anyway. :P
Regards,
Mick

OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Mick did you say "This should cut the wait time in half and in turn, make for a quicker build."?

Well I should think so too!
It's just been dragging so far...... :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see you didn't get damaged by the mess that hit Brisbane - hope it stays that way for you.

Cheers, Bob
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Bob, Thanks mate.

Brisbane got trashed. A mate works in the Bire Brigade here and he showed me some piccies a firy mate of his took of the approaching storm in Brisbane. It looked to me like a series of tornados - but everybody knows we don't get them here. - yeah right.

I grew up in Brisbane and some of the storms that used to hit the place this time of year just took our breath away. Back then it was normal, we were used to it and expected it and our houses were built accordingly. In recent decades, we have seen a huge influx of southerners and about 20years on non typical summer weather in that the storms have been tame. these people just have no experience of a tropical wet season here and to be brutally honest, the homes being built just are not up to it.
Reminds me of the lyrics of a song that was a hit here a few years ago. :D

"Out on the patio, - we sit,

And the humidity - we breathe.

We watch the lightning

Crack over cane fields.

Laugh and drink,-

This is Australia" :D 8)

By Gangajang :lol:

So far, we have been getting big tropical storms rumbling over every afternoon but so far, little wind. This is a pretty typical summer wet season for us. Like we used to get every season. We haven't seen a real wet season in years so it is still a bit of a shock to the system.

At least they cool things down a little - for a while. Sitting here in shorts and sweat at the moment. Its allmost 9pm and showing no sign of cooling off yet. It was 109f in my shed today in between cloud bursts. Bloody epoxy goes off in about 20 minutes when it is like that.

At the moment, I am fantasising about snow and sleet and ice. even hail would do.
Regards,
Mick

Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

I agree with you Mick all this B...S... about global warming etc as far as I remember climate goes in roughly 7 year cycles..............a bit like the seventh set is always bigger
when are people going to accept we must fit into our environment...........rather than change it
Sorry for the rant :oops:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

My kids and I went through the worst summer storm, besides hurricane, at my parent in WI last Aug: 2 hours of hearing lightning buzzing BEFORE hearing the thunder crack. I grew up there and never remember having one that bad. Even my dad, being the crusty old salt that he is, said that was a really bad one.

Today in NC, schools are delayed 2 hours for a snow storm that dropped a couple unexpected inches overnight. They don't get significant snow here much so instead spending tax money on plows and salt trucks (they have a few, but not many), they just delay or shut down schools, government, and businesses as needed.

In the northern half of the U.S., 2" of snow doesn't mean a thing except some snowball fights for kids as they walk to school and play in it at recess. :roll:
-Matt. Designer.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

yea I agree about the global warming. It's 34f here this morning. Not supposed to be this cold this far down in Texas. Oh well no epoxy today. :lol:
Darrell Sykora
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

The weather is interesting , here in Florida we are running 20 degrees cooler then normal for this time of the year. :?

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Still chipping away here. I got so fixated on my sheer clamps and trying to achieve a real nice and even deck to side seam that I forgot to take piccies of what I was doing and why. sorry.

Deck is temp stitched on and allmost dry fitted to my satisfaction.

Deck panels are tacked together

There is a sort of swoop in the bow deck, right at the front. I am not sure if I have made another mistake or not but my measurements seem to check out. Also, not real sure if I like it that much. Will think on it a couple of days.

Will let her rest for a few days now and attack her in ernest next week.
Regards,
Mick