Hairie's Okwata 15 X 26 LC

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Graham
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Hairie's Okwata 15 X 26 LC

Post by Graham »

Yet another cracker, well done Mick and Matt Great team work.
Has anyone built their own paddles?
Well you know me I like to add food for thought.
Life is what you make it but its what you make that improves your life.
1X Gander river canoe
offers to help support your build
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Graham wrote:Yet another cracker, well done Mick and Matt Great team work.
Has anyone built their own paddles?
Well you know me I like to add food for thought.
Don't know if you looked here or not , if not you might want to.--------------
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=15

Sanded and ready for some epoxy. How I made a paddle with left over wood from one boat build , Red Wood strips. Make your own paddle .. part 1 and part 2 in the same section.
Plus lots of good postings from others who have made there own paddles.

Epoxyed...( Next to the stripper pirogue from the same wood )

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Graham
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Graham »

Wow great colour scheme, nothing like nature to supply some fantastic materials.
This question arose from looking at Mick’s photo of his fine craft. The plastic spoons just didn’t fit the picture may be we could start a new section with the best dressed canoe / Kayak. Chucks on a winner with his paddle matching his pirogue, lets have some more photos.
I know I often cause controversy with some of my posts, like the debate to use a single or double paddle, rudder or no rudder? You chaps never let me down, it’s good to know that you all produce fine one off products, Demonstrating skills that the world needs to preserve.
8)
Chuck any chance in me joining your forum as i am still waiting for an E-Mail
Life is what you make it but its what you make that improves your life.
1X Gander river canoe
offers to help support your build
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

Graham wrote:
Chuck any chance in me joining your forum as i am still waiting for an E-Mail
Not to hijack this thread .... BUT... Southernpaddler is using an older version of the same one Matt has. The auto system does fail us at times and if a person has not received a confirmation email , PLEASE email me and I will activate it manually.

I wanted to post that information in case anyone has had or is having the same problems that Graham had. Which is gone since I manually have activated his membership on southernpaddler.

Matt and Mick , thanks in advance for the consideration of letting me hijack this thread. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Seems like there was still enough wood left next to your paddle to build another one or two paddle blades Chuck.

Oh, and beautiful boat Mick.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

craiggamesh wrote:Seems like there was still enough wood left next to your paddle to build another one or two paddle blades Chuck.

Oh, and beautiful boat Mick.
They will be turned into paddles , anyway paddle blades. The handles will be made from the strips of wood ( that were not used ) I have left over from building the pirogue. What you saw in the bottom right of the picture was the wood left over from making the sheets ( Flat panels ) out of it to make the pirogue. That is the beauty of making your own boat. The items left over can be used for anything , storage boxes , repairs around the house , Ice Chests , Paddles and the list just goes on and on depending on what you want or need to have.

Sorry abut the hijacking Mick........

Back to your beautiful build.

There are a few things missing but I know , you are/were in a hurry to try her out on the water. :lol: Looking forward to the completed project and a field test report. :D

Chuck. ( the wayward thread hijacker :roll: )
PS. Your waters in the land down under sure make me think you are up here in ours paddling around.
Remember:
Bruce36549

Post by Bruce36549 »

Absolutely gorgeous boat, Mick. I like the way you are doing the hatch covers. Seems like they will be dryer than flush fitted hatches. It will be hard restraining myself from buying the plans right now. If I get them my Laker may never get finished.

Bruce
I may look busy, but I'm only confused.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks guys and no problems with the hijack from this end. 8) Its all good fun.

Bruce, finish your Laker mate. You will be surprised at just how good that boat is. This way, If you are still intent on building an Okwata, or something else, you will at least allready have a very good kayak to use while doing so.

Okwata is only slightly more complex build but there seems to be a lot more hours in it. The beauty in this boat for me, is the very fine entry both ends created with the tortured ply bottom panels and moderate rocker. Add to that the tumblehome deck panel to aboid knuckle banging and we have function and form blending together in what is, to my eye, a classicly beautiful kayak.

The fact that she paddles as well as she does is a bonus. 8)

I think the big name designers should be getting a little nervous over this boat. Particularly as more of them are getting built.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Still managing to get an hour in here and there.

Got all the cockpit coaming build up layers on today.

and started to clean up my back hatch lip.

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Merlin
Type of boat I like: Kayaks have Okwata plans

Post by Merlin »

Mick,

She looks really great! You've done another wonderful job. Can't wait to see it finished. I figured you would be finished before I started. I've not finished enough projects around the house to take on another yet. Until then, I just don't have the room. Besides, it's been a bit cold here lately.

Really look forward to seeing yours completely finished as some motivation.

Regards,
Billy
Billy
V-12
Laker 13 (free, soon)
Okwata 15-26 (soon)