Hairie's Okwata 15 X 26 LC

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Hairie's Okwata 15 X 26 LC

Post by hairymick »

G'day Billy,

Thanks mate.

I got a couple more hours in today. Cockpit and hatch coamings are on now. 8)

Front hatch lip

Cockpit coaming lip is on.

While is was at it, the was a heck of a comotion in my back yard. The parrots have been getting stuck into my mangos.

They particularly like the rotten ones on the ground that have fermented.

When they eat these, they all get drunk as lords, fight and squauk like banshees. Bloody typical Aussies :lol: and fall out of the tree and sort of continue the brawl on the ground. Bloody mad buggers get more mangos off the tree than I do. Got a couple for desert tonight though. 8) :D

Strawberry Mangos - Yuuuuum!!

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Back at it again today.

Started on the seat. using 3/4" Oregon pine (Douglas Fir) for the seat supports. I had some bits lying round the shed. :D

Rough cut the seat and put some fibre-glass on the underside to add a little strength for my fat butt.

Started playing with my rear hatch/tankwell insert thingy. I used the blocks of wood to hold the panels in place till the glue set up.

filleted the inside of my thingy and inserted into the hatchway to make sure it held the correct shape.

Regards,
Mick

craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Very interesting. I was considering making a customized insert for the tank well of my Sabalo. That way I can make it as water tight as possible while maximizing storage. I thought of insulating it with foil-bubble-foil insulation for fish storage, and have tackle and beverages on top in a smaller "nesting" box. Then I would also have additional surface area for fastening things. I figure it would look nicer than a milk crate.

I can't wait to see your finished product so I can steal some ideas from you. :twisted:
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Craig, thanks mate. Getting pretty excited about this one too.

This is what I love about this forum. We all post our thoughts and ideas and everybody can take what they like, discard the rest and come up with some real cool boats.

Been down the shed again today and it is very hard now not to rush the job just to get her done.

Seat is in with a wet out coat of epoxy setting up now.

Bow rod holder holes cut and epoxied

stern rod holders cut and epoxied

My verson of back band tie back mounts are in and epoxied.

Tankwell insert thingy taking shape.

Cockpit coaming cleaned up with the first coat of epoxy on. 8)

beer O'clock!!! 8) 8)
Regards,
Mick

craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Wow its beer o'clock there too. we must be in the same time zone.

By the way, what size and brand of round hatches did you put in your wadefish. I was looking at your build log earlier and figured they were either 8" or 6 ". The one in the cockpit looked slightly different than the others. I saw some 1/4 turn on the Duckwork's sight by Sea Dog that looked like they may work. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was curious.I thought Bemm52 used something similar on his Sabalo.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Craig
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Heya Craig,

It's ALLWAYS beer O"clock here mate :P

Re the Hatches, the two ones behind the cockpit were 8 inch X 1/4 turn. The one in the middle of the cockpit was also 8 inch but some obscure brand and many turns.

I have a couple of the Duckworks 1/4 turn ones here that I was originally planning on installing in this boat. They look to be great quality and I will use them on something else.
Regards,
Mick

Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

craiggamesh wrote:Wow its beer o'clock there too. we must be in the same time zone.

I thought Bemm52 used something similar on his Sabalo.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry to highjack Mick its beer oclock here and I'm doin it :shock: :shock: 44degrees C

Craig hatches I used were Hobie same as Danger Mouse next build I'm gonna check out the new Wilderness Systems hatches they look cool .........if I can get hold of them :shock:

Please spare a thought for our friends who are doing it tough in Victoria at the moment......................Death toll is still rising.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

hairymick wrote: Tankwell insert thingy taking shape.
Mick I just love it when you use those technical terms :lol: :lol: :lol: .

You're putting me to shame now - I'm progressing so slowly compared to you it feels like I'm going backwards!
Don't slow down though - I'm keen to see how you rate the performance of this against the Laker.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Bob,

Thanks mate. :lol: but I think I am going real sloooow on this one. I started he build back in Novermber - I think.

Got the lady cleaned up today and the first coat of varnish is on

YAY!!!!

shiney. 8)

Regards,
Mick

craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Mick and Bemm, thanks for the info about the hatches. I saw the 1/4 turn hatches you mentioned at Duckworks, Mick. I might get a couple. However, I am curious about the Hobie and Wilderness systems hatches as well, but I need to find a supplier.

And Mick, your kayak is looking great. I cant wait to see the finished job.

Thanks
Regards,

Craig