olsnappa's Laker 14

Builder show and discuss their progress.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: olsnappa's Laker 14

Post by olsnappa »

Craig, Chuck, Bob......Cheers.
Bob. Each one will be a bit different.
For example this one is for a guy who will enjoy chasing some fish and a bit of 1 or 2 night camping trips in estuaries and river setting as well as a bit of recreational paddling and fishing off the Port Philip Bay beaches.
The one I build for my brother will be more basic. He'll be doing a bit of rec' paddling from his nearby beach. He's not particularly into fishing....so I might just include one rod holder in case. Certainly no anchor trolley. He won't be going overnight camping etc, so storage and hatch arrangements probably won't be included.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

nice!!
-Matt. Designer.
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

As others have said, it always amazes me how differently the same boat gets built.
I like the color scheme, and what you did with frame 2.
I’m very interested in a performance comparison between a 14 and a 13 for a 200 lb. man.
Nice job.
Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

that's rather pleasant. Good work.

I assume the clear finish is varnish over epoxy, what's your method it's a nice finish?

Tor
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Matt, Richard, Tor......Thanks.
Tor...Nothing out of the ordinary. A light sand (by hand) with 120 grit paper between epoxy coats then 3 coats of good quality marine grade varnish, similarly sanded between coats. The wood was really nice too, which helps :D
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

That is a pretty boat. Great work!
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Thanks Jimmy...
I took her out for a quick paddle this morning and love the way she feels on the water. Great design Matt :D
Having read such glowing reviews on the Laker series, I was expecting it to be an enjoyable if brief paddle and it lived up to expectation fully.....And it was pouring with rain the whole time. Time constraints meant I had no option but to rise early this morning and get out there despite the rain. And I'll be delivering her to her new owner this afternoon.
I was on the water for about 40 minutes doing circuits of a small lake near home and exploring the shallow reedy sections as well as a flat out belt across the middle of the lake......all great fun.
After the first couple of minutes shifting my weight around in different situations to get a feel for tippy-ness, I settled down to some proper paddling.
Everything I'd read about the Laker was true. She's a delight to paddle, getting up to speed very quickly and smoothly. My only point of comparison is the Cape Fear. I'd always been surprised by the CF's responsiveness.......so I was blown away by the Laker in comparison. Great acceleration, nice feel on the turns and tracks and glides beautifully.
I returned to shore absolutely saturated by rain.....but with a big dopey grin of satisfaction on my face.
Conditions were so wet, I wasn't brave enough to take my camera, so no photo's I'm afraid but I'll ask Linda and Mark, the new owners, to take some later to post up on Lakers Lair or Out and About.
Thanks Matt for a great design...... She's a ripper!!! :D
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

rhutchinson

Post by rhutchinson »

olsnappa, if you don't mind, how much was she drafting and how much weight was aboard? Also do you have an idea of hull weight?
Thanks

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

rhutchinson wrote:olsnappa, if you don't mind, how much was she drafting and how much weight was aboard? Also do you have an idea of hull weight?
Thanks

Richard
Richard...... I didn't specifically measure draft but the shallowest water I was gliding through was probably around 6 inches and I'm pretty sure the only contact was with the reeds and stubble sitting up in the water.
I'm about 230 lbs these days.....not great but about 20 lb less than this time last year I hasten to add :lol:
I forgot to weigh her unfortunately...but I know my Cape Fear is around 23 kg (50 lb approx') and at a guess I'd say the Laker 14 came in much the same. Maybe a few pound less.....Bearing in mind that all frames were kept in place and she has a 9mm seat panel (about 18 x 18 inches)
The larger seat panel in the CF is lift out and isn't included in her total weight.
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

rhutchinson

Post by rhutchinson »

Thanks for the answers. We're in the same situation "ballast" wise. I guess I'll need the 14 for myself and if my wife likes it, then the 13 for her. I've been drooling over these boats for 2 years! It's about time to get on with it!

Thanks Again
Richard