Tor's Southwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Tor's Southwind

Post by Tor »

well with the cool weather it's a good job it's a long weekend...

did end pours
just about got one end done before the rain and wind :cry:
there's two of these to do between epoxy mixes too...
it's mulch for the garden beds, gotta keep them happy :roll:
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

been thinking about fittings as I go and decided that I shall be putting a carrying handle on the top of the deck at the front. So as there is a whopping great join right down the middle of the deck I thought a little reinforcement under the deck may be useful.

This is it
and in place (not glued yet)
the fixing bolts will bolt through and this spreads the load through the hull and deck

Any one used the squirty foam (expanding gap filler) to fill cavities like this?

Tor.
Tor

Post by Tor »

:x :evil: :x :(

There's really only one reason to start a thread like that, glassing the pointy bits on the inside....

I wanted the get this out of the way early in the build and I'll be happier sanding the outside ready for sanding once he inside is glassed.

tried a slightly different approach, made a template out of newspaper
cut out the glass by flipping this over so it was still one piece with a big V cut out of it
and then tried a dry run
and then three hours later
and the fact the resin doesn't go off so quickly down here is the only reason I'm glad I live in a cool part of the world...

I'll get the middle bit done in the week then turn it over an do the outside next weekend.

Tor
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Those inner bow/stern stems are the toughest. Looks like you did an excellent job. Congrats! 8)
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Haven't heard much good things about the foam in the can that expands , Might be better off sealing the area with some Styrofoam cut to fit or even a lot of those little Styrofoam popcorn ( the little pieces they use in shipping stuff).

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Tor wrote:
Any one used the squirty foam (expanding gap filler) to fill cavities like this?

Tor.
If it's the stuff you buy at the hardware store to fill gaps in your house, be careful. Most of the that variety consists of open-cell foam and will absorb water and hold.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Tor, Consider leaving them empty, with vent holes in the bottom so they will air out?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Tor,

There's a bloke here in Adelaide who has built a few boats with inaccessible compartments and his solution is to leave them empty with a small hole for allowing moisture to escape. The hole is made by inserting a thin wire at a corner of the bulkhead while gluing it in place then pulling the wire out when set. This relies on always storing the boat with the pinhole at the bottom so any expansion/contraction cycles with temperature will tend to pump any water out.

As far as flotation goes for capsize situations the hole is so small it does not allow any significant ingress of water. If you want to check out his technique it's on the Woodwork Forums in the boat building section. He goes by the name of B.O.A.T and the comments I refer to are on page 4 of his "Clayton Bay" build.

Personally I doubt that I will ever use any kind of filler in a chamber. if water is going to get in then the filler will only serve to keep it there. If it is not going to get in then the filler won't help flotation anyway - there is no filler as light as air. If the filler is being used to help with strength/rigidity then I think there are probably better ways.

The build is looking good, keep up the good work 8) .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Tor

Post by Tor »

OK another slow weekend due to the cool weather. It's all wrong, summer is the time to enjoy the boats therefore winter should be the best time to build them, but when the temp struggles to reach 16C (even in the shed) it's slow going.

I think I'll leave the compartment open without foam, thanks for the input.

when I cut out the panels I was trying to match up th egrain in the panels, there was a fair amount of waste but I think I managed. The grain shone through with the epoxy applied.

And if there's a bit of waste you have to figure out something to do with it.

To be continued...
Tor

Post by Tor »

and making the deck supports too, I like to laminate the pieces before I cut them.

and once they're cut, glue 'em in

this was one I'd prepared earlier (frame 5) the glue was still setting on the frame above...

The pointy end has been coming along too, I have sanded into the top laminate but the shape is smooth and this will be coated with graphite so won't show

During the next week I'll get the other deck support in and start the deck construction...

Tor