Tor's Southwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Tor's Southwind

Post by john the pom »

however ply on it's edge will form a nice curve...

Did similar with my Laker.
Had cut out the template and out of curiosity tried it vertically inside the line of the coaming. It fit :D Ended up glueing one part butted up to the inside line of the cockpit sticking down a bit. Later shaved the excess off. Then glued the same thing around the outside of the inner piece but sitting ON the deck. Had 2x 4mm Pieces vertical then. They also happened to flair out really nicely at the pointy end. Marked a pattern from cardboard, then cut two rough oversize shapes from 12mm ply glued it on and shaped/hacked/chewed it till it looked almost good. The top piece probably ended up being about 8mm thick.
I spose this means that I also fit into the category of:
Does this deviation from plan mark a significant point in my building life or just go to show I can't follow instructions...
All my "Deviations" I blame on being left handed.

Regards John.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

So to do the lower coming glue a 14mm piece on th einside to cover the raw edge left where the cockpit has been cut and a 10 mm piece on the outside.

with the use of an electric paint stripping gun persuade the strips around corners...

fill the pointy end for extra strength

and fillet the inside to seal and for strength

supervisor seemed resonably happy with the fact I was packing up...

She's a good little egg layer along with her 4 friends - the boys made a good curry and stock... :twisted:

I was very pleased with the way this went together but I was expecting a little flak from some of the more experienced boys as I'm sure there's a drawback with this technique.

Tor
PS there's only two seats in the seats thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2982 I started, does everyone else sit on the floor c'mon lets share the ideas in one place as I've seen some good ideas but they're deep in other threads and I can't find them later.
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Tor...... Mate! That's brilliant..... :D :D The coaming I mean.....not the chook
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Tor

Post by Tor »

so once all the resin has cued and it's all sealed on the inside put a top on it

I used my newly purchase 400W router and a laminate cutter to get the edge flush and this is the technique I use for the top layers too.

the inside edge is flush the outside edge was completed by clamping a 10mm thick bit of timber and running the router around this

It worked a treat

you have to work around the clamps
my bestest new tool (at least it was)

:D

Tor
Tor

Post by Tor »

Looks good on the grass should look good on the water...

Ready to launch, Sunday 2pm on a local lake

my seat solution, there's a couple of blocks with holes to take the legs glued to the hull I can move the seat forward or backward depending on the use, not a huge adjustment but enough for me. The seat's probably a bit high but I'll take my saw with me to make the adjustments :roll: .

Just need to fit it out for a touch of fishing.

Tor
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Careful on that seat height. Maybe too high, maybe not. Depends on your sense of balance. Hate to see you get wet on the first push off! :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
Tor

Post by Tor »

If I've got it wrong believe me there will be pictures...
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

Excellent job, Tor, and beautiful wood grain. I can't stop looking at the pics. Please take more of the whole boat and let us see.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Phishtech wrote:Excellent job, Tor, and beautiful wood grain
of course the back end is usually the prettiest, I'm glad I took the time to match as much of the grain as i could. Unfortunately the other grain is more subtle and I haven't been able to capture it in an image.

My little helper got to paddle with me first

We had 2 up

and 3 up

and eventually I got a go all by myself.

well how did it paddle you ask, I shall tell you.
jem wrote:Careful on that seat height. Maybe too high, maybe not. Depends on your sense of balance. Hate to see you get wet on the first push off! :lol:
The seat height was great solo or with a little 'un, it became a little tippy with another adult in with me

I've discovered I can't paddle... :oops: I can put a paddle in water and make the boat move but my control leaves a lot to be desired. Now this may have been the balance of the boat (especially when two up) but I'd be tracking nicely, adjust a little to the right then paddling like mad as we over steered. Paddling by myself was better.

It was as stable as I expected, tuned beautifully and tracked line a train. It was so different from the flat bottomed symmetric canoe. I have to say that to compensate for my dreadful paddling I did think I should have fitted a rudder, but then I guess I'd never learn to paddle properly.

it weighs 22kg without the seats and 29kg with seats and paddles.
According to my GPS I was paddling at an average of 4km/h with a max of 9.4 and I paddled about 8km with various changes of crew, max speed two up was 9.7km/h just before we lost complete control and nearly went around in a circle...

Can't wait to do a little fishing from her in a couple of weeks on a not so far away lake during a camping trip. Just need some fitting out

Thanks Matt, great boat might have to build another now so we can all paddle, I so can't go back to the DK now...

PS she bounces well on the road too, when I tried to put it back on the car I dropped it from about 3 feet, made a hell of a noise but hardly a scratch and no breaks :oops: :oops: :oops:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Great pictures and report! Your paddling skills will get better all on their own.
-Matt. Designer.