Tor's Southwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Tor's Southwind

Post by jem »

Once you get the frames in and snug up each of the stitches, it will form better. You'll notice that if you let the hull sit overnight, the wood yields to the pressure and fits into place better.
-Matt. Designer.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

G'day Tor.
Funny......I picked up a roll of wire on the weekend to use in the Laker build.
Your comment about sore fingers confirms what I suspected might be the case..... but I figure the smaller stitch holes would be worth the suffering :D
As for the alignment of the panels, I had a similar situation with the CF build. Going back and re-stitching a little looser until all the stitches were in place.....then tweaking them a little tighter made all the difference.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Thats the beauty of the copper wire , easier to bend. :roll:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by CrkdLtr »

Oldsparkey wrote:Thats the beauty of the copper wire , easier to bend. :roll:

Chuck.

Us youngsters don't have a retirement fund, yet, that we can dip into to afford copper wire. :lol: That's why I use zip ties. Young and broke. :lol:
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Crkldtr,
Piper put this link http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm in Favorite Links on the SP Forum. Somewhere in there was spools of copper armature wire. If I remember correctly a 200 ft. spool of 20ga. wire was right at $4.00 a spool. That site has a lot of unusal stuff in it. They even have cell phone vibrator motors in there. Whatcha gonna do with one of those anyway?
Bob
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

jem wrote:You'll notice that if you let the hull sit overnight, the wood yields to the pressure and fits into place better.
He's bloody good you know.

That's exactly what I found, I left the panels overnight (ran out of time to finish the frames) and the frames went in beautifully. Some of the gaps have closed up but others could be a bit of a concern (I'm being far more fussy with this build).

So if I need to sand between the panels what do I stick my sandpaper to, the good lady wife won't let me steal her emery boards :roll: .

Tor
PS bit count is at 3
Tor

Re: Tor's Southwind - a good weekend's work

Post by Tor »

Well I had a large weekend.

I got on with a few jobs this weekend

I do like this shape

Now I have a little tip which made life a hell of a lot easier on my poor white collar fingers also a bit safer if you have 3 and a half foot helper in the shop.

Insert stitch from the out side

3 half twists on the inside

pinch

to look like this

find a convenient slotted piece of dowel

twist

look at that beautiful stitch and safe on the outside

Once the stitch is beautifully formed the dowel just lets it turn if you need it tighter you just tweak it with the pliers.

'tis looking beautiful (OK I've overused that word but...)

Tor
Tor

Post by Tor »

oh yeah before I forget like every one else's ply the pointy ends were a little tricky.

I'd tweak one panel and another would pop out so rather than rig up a fancy jig I figured I'd glue up one panel while it's in line and then go back to the panel that's not in in line and fix it up.

This is out of line it is

Just waiting for the glue to dry. Yes I learned to do the nice stitching later...

Tor
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

That's brilliant mate - my main gripe with wire ties is the number of puncture wounds in my hands from the sharp ends of the damn things :evil:. Haven't thought the whole process through yet but I guess that once the panels are tacked the stitches are removed so you never have to work around them on the sharp side. Looks like the "Tor stitch" is going to put wire back on my list of building materials 8) .

Thanks for sharing and by the way the lines on that thing do look right don't they?
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Nice work! She's taking a real nice shape.
-Matt. Designer.