The "Onkalaker" Laker 13

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Bruce36549
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: The "Onkalaker" Laker 13

Post by Bruce36549 »

Bob you have a real beauty there. Congratulations on a fine build.

Bruce
I may look busy, but I'm only confused.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

First on water trial today. Had to take the opportunity as there will be too much other stuff going on for the next 2 weeks and the weather is cooling. Perfect weather today though and not too many people about so took it down to Pt Noarlunga and slipped into the river for a quick assessment of performance.
Went downstream with the tide for a couple of hundred metres, took some pics then headed upstream.

While going under the road bridge I was trying to figure out if it was easier to paddle than other kayaks I have used and didn't think it was much different. Then reached some shallows and could see that I was really doing quite well - especially against the current. At that stage I suddenly realised that I had not been thinking about staying on course - the Laker tracks so well it was just happening naturally without any effort. Turning was easy when required although I didn't go through the full range of exercises such as 360 degree turn, emergency stop etc.

Don't have a proper carry system yet - just put some foam pads on the roof racks and strapped her down. She's light enough to lift on and off the car and carry to/from the water without putting down.

Not sure if you can make them out but there are a lot of black swans on the water in this pic.

The paddle I used is one I made. It is hollow shafted with blades of left over 3.6mm ply covered with one layer of 2.5oz glass. It is not well finished or proportioned but I now know what I need to do to make a good one.

Not sure if I will need footbraces now - my feet are very close to the forward bulkhead so may be able to use that. Once the seat is finalised I will be able to decide.

All in all a very nice little paddle. :D
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Beautiful boat and beautiful photos.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I like that side view with the color contrast. Is that the wood grain that did that?
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Bob,

Congratulations on yet, another beautiful Laker in Oz. They seem to be taking this country by storm! - and rightly so, in my opinion.

Re her performance, When you get the chance, paddle beside somebody else in a factory plastic kayak - any brand or model. This will give you a better idea just how good she is and also break the heart of the plastic paddler. 8) :lol: They really are that good mate.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Been away this week - had a caravan trip to Narrawong and only arrived home this afternooon. Unfortunately couldn't take the Laker due to no suitable carrier.

Matt, yes the pattern on the side is due to the timber grain. it didn't really show up much until glassed but it is quite strong now. The deck looks much better (this shows up in a pic on the previous page in this thread).

Mick, breaking a plastic paddler's heart sounds like a mean thing to do - can't wait to try it! :twisted:

Won't be much more to this thread now - might do an update on the seat and footbraces (if used) but any other mods eg rod holders etc will probably appear in the Laker's Lair.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement during the build. It really helps to have some positive feedback on those odd days where things go astray and doubt starts to creep in. Matt, I think you've done your customers a great service by setting up this forum and maintaining it.

Oh, and David - I know what you mean about "going to try for a showroom finish.......revised my expectations". I think it's a case of "Didn't we all......" :lol:
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.