HELP!!!!!!!!!Somethings growing........

Builder show and discuss their progress.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!Somethings growing........

Post by craiggamesh »

Paul its a beauty!! I have been stuck for 2 weeks at the finish coat of topside epoxy and then I am done (except for varnish) with the Sabalo. Just haven't had time lately.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Some critters have no respect :shock: :shock:

preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

Bemm 52 wrote:Some critters have no respect :shock: :shock:

Yeah, politicians right?
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Getting things done slowly slowly ..........Sabalo keps taking me fishing :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:

couldn't find fairleads that I wanted so I'm making them they will be painted black and epoxied

Fair leads for anchor trolley below

craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

I thinned it by about 1/5 and wiped it on in an effort to save runs

Its a method I use on furniture so I'm hopeing it will work OK
This was from your Sabalo build. I have never tried this. You obtained such a beautiful finish. How do you wipe on the varnish. Just dip a rag and wipe?
Regards,

Craig
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

craiggamesh wrote: Just dip a rag and wipe?
Thats how you do it..............but the epoxy must be sanded to a good finish or imperfections come trough :) .............Like you I missed the sanding thingo that came with the plans and had to do it the hard way :shock: :lol:

I knock all the bad epoxy dags and runs out with a carefully used orbital and 80grit then follow this up with 120 grit wet and dry by hand...........this cuts very well and quickly

When every thing is dull with no bright spots hose it all down and wipe on thinned varnish lightly sanding every couple of coats.

Brushing on is quicker but I keep getting runs :oops: ...........spraying would be another option

Cheers Paul
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

I have thought about spraying. I have sprayed lacquer but never varnish. The lacquer over- spray drys before it gets on everything. Varnish is a bit messier and makes everything sticky. I would probably have to improvise some sort of spray both to attempt it so as not to varnish the entire inside of my garage. Not sure its worth the trouble. I think I may try your method of rubbing it on.
Regards,

Craig
Artfull Dodger
Type of boat I like: issaquah

Post by Artfull Dodger »

I sprayed Feast and Watson Spar marine varnish on my Issaquah without any troubles. Low pressure mixed with thinners as per the manufacturers instructions and a light sand with a fine wet and dry as you build up coat's worked well. Takes a little patience not to get too carried away with the application just the right amount to avoid runs. I had never sprayed before and had little trouble once I got the pressure and flow right, you can get two coats on by applying the second coat as soon as the first coat tacks off, I would certainly recommend it if you have access to the gear. :wink:
Last edited by Artfull Dodger on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Thanks, I may try it. I will practice first on something else. When you say low pressure, how low? Sorry for the hi-jack of the thread. :wink:
Regards,

Craig
Artfull Dodger
Type of boat I like: issaquah

Post by Artfull Dodger »

I was spraying at 25-30 psi, if your compressor has a moisture release valve on the filter remember to release the air and moisture on occasions so you don't have it blowing back through the gun. Just a tip. Other than that nothing to fear.

Bemm,

I have applied three coats of graphite mix to the Okwata :lol: :P :lol: did you or do you have to wet and dry the last coat??? I'm happy with the finish was just wondering if it makes a difference to the overall smoothness?????