Stripped Freedom 15

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Stripped Freedom 15 (UPDATED 3/16) Deck Glassed

Post by Darrells »

Seperated the deck from the hull tonight in preperation of glassing the underside of the deck. I set both of them outside while I cleaned the shop alittle. The sun really brought out the colors of the wood. I can't wait to get this one wrapped up to see how she paddles. I put the Pre-coat on the underside of the deck this evening. I will get the glass laid tomorrow night.

Darrell Sykora
Bruno
Type of boat I like: I like Trapper canoe.

Re: Stripped Freedom 15 (UPDATED 3/19) Out in the Sun

Post by Bruno »

That's an awesome boat ! 8)
Bruno
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Darrels your still blowing our minds 8)
you've opened a new path of interpretation for Matt's designs 8)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Yea but now he has TWO holes in the boat on the wrong side! :shock: :shock:

:lol:
-Matt. Designer.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Quit picking on me or I'm going to take my toys and go home. :lol: :lol:

Gotta quit playing on the Internet, have work todo. Will post pics later.
Darrell Sykora
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:Yea but now he has TWO holes in the boat on the wrong side! :shock: :shoc
:lol:
Matt....

I have to agree with you ... The ole Boy is just dragging his feet and putting holes where they should not be. I will make a promise to you .... At the get together out there on the 28th , I will set him straight about his goofing off and dragging all of this out by just teasing us on this build. Yes .. Sir. Now you have to remember he is one of those Tex-I-Cans with the Louis-i-anna influence controlling what he does. I guess it is a off hand southern thing but I will try to X-Plain things to him. :wink:

Either that or I will have to eat some Crow , Ya know they ain't half bad when done up southern style , in fact , down right tasty. :D

Boats on the half shell........ Where's the rest of them ???????

Chuck.
PS.. Did those diapers smell like they needed to be changed ?
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

It's amazing how the camera makes things look different. The cockpit looks way out of center, but I promise it is not. Did'nt get much done last night. Relatives showed up and hung around till late.
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

I installed the bulkheads this afternoon.

As much as it scared me to cut on the deck I finally worked my courage up and took a saw to her.

This boat will probably be used about 90 percent of the time on overnight camping trips. I thought it over and decided I needed a place for a pretty good size cooler for the summer months. I did a lttle research on Bowgarguides boats and decided to cut the rear deck to allow a Igloo 5 Day extreme cooler.

Everthing worked out well. Although I held my breath alot during cutting. :D

Tomorrow afternoon I hope to install the lips for the hatches and get the deck fastened down on the hull. I have a overnight trip planned for mid-week and I sure want to take this boat on it's shake down cruise. We'll have to see how thiings fall together from here. If not I can fall back on the trusty Pirogue.
Darrell Sykora
CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by CrkdLtr »

Darrells wrote: Tomorrow afternoon I hope to install the lips for the hatches and get the deck fastened down on the hull. I have a overnight trip planned for mid-week and I sure want to take this boat on it's shake down cruise. We'll have to see how thiings fall together from here. If not I can fall back on the trusty Pirogue.
That looks awesome Darrells. Serious question though. How is the top half of that kayak supposed to attach to the bottom half after all is said and done :?:
Darrells

Re: Stripped Freedom 15 (UPDATED 3/26) Bulkheads and Hatches

Post by Darrells »

I will apply glue (wood flour and epoxy) around the hull and lay the deck on and center everything up. Once the epoxy has cured the seam will get a layer of 2 inch fiberglass tape all the way arond the boat.
Darrell Sykora