DK Touring build question

Builder show and discuss their progress.
windyman
Type of boat I like: Sailing Canoes

DK Touring build question

Post by windyman »

Hi first class forum thanks to everyone.

We are building a 18ft Dk touring canoe and plan to sail it did anyone do it?.

The ply is almost cut and I am thinking of using the frames for mounting points for outriggers and the forward one looks like a good place to step the mast.

I have a slow hardener for the epoxy would this be ok it seems to work for laminating wood.

Any and all comments very welcome

All the best Jimmy
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: DK Touring build question

Post by jem »

Good info about that sort of thing at these links:

http://www.enter.net/~skimmer/index.html
-Matt. Designer.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

Windyman,

I built a DK last year and at some point I will use it as a test bed for making a sailing canoe (I've never sailed and will reinvent the wheel). I made a mistake cutting the frames but it worked in my favour. I always thought that the 4mm frame would be a bit flimsy and when I cut one side too short I had no more ply.

I constructed the frames out of 6x25 mm hoop pine using biscuit joins I am going to use the frame(s) to take some of the support of the mast and any step and thwarts I need.

Tor
windyman
Type of boat I like: Sailing Canoes

Post by windyman »

Hi thanks for the reply I thought the frames looked a bit light and did not bother to cut them yet.
When you say a test bed do you think it would not make a good sailing canoe.

All the best
:)
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

Hey windyman,

bit long for a reply but the testing I'd be doing is of my own making, to be honest I have no idea what makes a good sailing canoe... :shock:

It's wide and stable and long, is heavy to paddle when it has 3 kids in but having said that it's great fun

I'm good at reinventing the wheel, I don't learn fast...

Hows the build going?

Tor
Derek Bowen

Post by Derek Bowen »

Tor, I am also modifying a DK 18 and I am also planning to put outriggers and sails (next winter) At the moment I have a very modified canoe for the summer. Thinking about it the other day I realised that there is not 1 single part that is "to spec". I have made her a bit shorter, narrower and shifted the bulkheads a bit to make boyancy chambers and a bit of stowage. The big change is a breaking joint in the middle. If your interested checkout Photobucket, user name derenaz. The album with the complete build up to now is called derenazcanoestuff. I'd be interested to know what your up to with your mods.
Tor

Post by Tor »

That is a bloody awesome build, you have some great vision in building that boat, I imagine it's not that light but wow it's good looking. Great work

Tor

http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss23 ... ?start=all
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

Here is some good information and pictures of a sailing canoe conversion some one did based on the link Matt gave above.

http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/ Click on the Technical Department link and then Sailing Canoe

There are links to drawings of the parts, the rig should be about the right size for the DK touring Canoe.

I've scale these drawings down (roughly 1/2) for a conversion rig for my 14ft Issaquah and are part way through building the set up, so far the spars and leeboard are done and the rudder assembly is nearly complete.

I'll post some pictures soon, although I won't be trying anything out until the water temperature reaches at least 20 degrees, about another month here.
Last edited by Chinook on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Windyman and welcome!

Mate you have taken modification to all new levels. That is a magnificent build.

As I digest your images, I am certain I will have lots of questions if you don't mind mate.

Congratulations on a stunning build! :D 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Derek Bowen

Post by Derek Bowen »

You're right about the weight Tor, I recon she's pushing 50 KG by now but since we live only 15 meters from the beach its OK. I will check the final weight as soon as I can borrow some bathroom scales. I added a few more Pics this morning. We are up to the paint stage and really looking forward to getting out there.