From little things big things grow......Okwata 15-26LC

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: From little things big things grow......Okwata 15-26LC

Post by Tor »

and just to rub salt in to the wounds of both states they're playing in Victoria (a state that doesn't care about the bloody game).

I don't count 'cause I'm pommie and that's where all the old players go to see out their careers .

Tor
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Artfull Dodger wrote:Guys,

Thanks for the advice I have taken it on board and will install a rudder 8)
Aussie dollars looking good against US at the moment might be a good time to do a rudder/foot brace buy :wink:
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Bemm 52 wrote:
Artfull Dodger wrote:Guys,

Thanks for the advice I have taken it on board and will install a rudder 8)
Aussie dollars looking good against US at the moment might be a good time to do a rudder/foot brace buy :wink:
Yeah mate, I can feel another buy-up coming on too :D 8)

Oh yeah, Queensland 28 - cockroaches 18 8) 8) 8) 8) :P
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Artfull Dodger
Type of boat I like: issaquah

Post by Artfull Dodger »

Mick,

Firstly, I'm not talking footy :cry: Whats say we have a sideline bet for a six pack of those bundy things you like sais we get you back in game two? :lol: Whats more frustrating is simple mathematics when pouring 100mls of part A one should know it takes 20mls of part B, after four hours and still not hardening one does realise a mistake has been made DOH. :oops: lost a day today.

Whats say we aim for September for the Jemwater fishing convention, we could then determine furthest north and furthest south and geographically work a destination from there? Tomorrow will work on stitching the deck.

Bemm,

Thanks for the heads up on the AUD as I understand you purchased the foot pedals from Duckworks? What Rudder system do you suggest I go with for my Okwata, not sure how I will adapt the bracket to fit the stern as she is pretty sharply shaped. :idea:

Its so often the simple things in life

Relaxation: 32 hrs
Investment: $240.20
Ossie Bruce
Type of boat I like: OKWATA.

Post by Ossie Bruce »

Hi All,
September is OK for me (okwata may even be finished by then) what type of playground do we need and accommodation ?

I just received my goodies from Duckworks on Friday
Ossie Bruce OKWATA Wet at last
North Queensland
Australia
Artfull Dodger

Post by Artfull Dodger »

Stern

It may look like the glue and stitch starts at 3/4 inch and runs to 1/8th however I am pleased to advise it is trick photography on my behalf, actually there is a photographic technical term for it that I will leave to the experts. I have forgotten what it is like to sand, sand and sand some more but the end result is worth it. I am blown away by the lines and curves of this build and can't wait to get it wet.

Mick,

I have noticed on the bow that I will need to add a small fillet to pick up the gap on the deck, I should add that the deck it is not at all any wider than the hull at the bow and have kept a consistent stitch line. I can fit the deck to the hull by applying minimal pressure not sure why this has happened???????

Can post a pick if required although I have no option to improvise and add a fillet its no big deal at all.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Art,

Mate, I am not real sure exactly what you mean.

In the bow, right at the front of your deck panels, there is meant to be a little dip in the apex of the "V"

Your panels need to be stitched together tight to achieve the dip. I had some problems there too. It looks like you have allready filleted it so if the lines look about right to you, I wouldn't bother about it. :D Others will disagree but I think the swoop achieves little and is there more for looks anyway. :P

Mate, I just can't tell you how pleased I am to see you Okwata coming along so well. Laker is allready a legend in this country, Okwata is superior and as more people see them and recognize the the genius of the design, I am certain our boats will follow suit. You are going to bloody love this boat mate. No question about that at all. :D :D

Bloody nice job mate :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Artfull Dodger

Post by Artfull Dodger »

Apologise mate a picture tells a thousand words. :roll: I should have posted this along with my :?:
The curve on the hull is fine and the deck runs flat and swoops up perfectly to the cockpit (hard to show in Pic)

As I said the deck fits the width of the hull no probs and I dont think I have crept out on the filleting, maybe its my measurements; anyho I will put a small tapered fillet in to pick it up, no real bother.

Thanks for the kind words
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You could fill that seam in with little issue. If you hadn't already filleted the seams, I'd say bully that wood and make it squeeze shut with a clamp.

But now you'll just have a nice strong stem instead! :D
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Some epoxy and wood flour would fill that in and offer a lot of strength to the bow, just like an end pour of epoxy does for the boats I make to reinforce the ends.

Glass the outside and when done then run a piece of glass tape from the top , down and back about 4 feet to offer protection from any wear and tear when pulling into a rest stop or ramming a fellow paddler on the water. :roll:
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler