From little things big things grow......Okwata 15-26LC

Builder show and discuss their progress.
cridgie down under

Re: From little things big things grow......Okwata 15-26LC

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi mate i'm from sawtell and about to join the okwata ranks , i have a laser 14 and luv it ,and will not be selling it .i ordered the plans last week so should receive them shortly.this is supposed to be my winter build ,but i am getting itchy feet, love what your doing and have been watching your progress with great interest and admiration . Keep the pics coming
Regards
"Cridgie down under" (Ray )
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Artfull Dodger wrote:Can anyone advise if expandable foam would be a suitable option for end pours both for floatation and as a cheaper lighter alternative to pouring in epoxy?
Only if you hate the boat and want to trash it in the near future........ That stuff causes more problems then it cures.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Artfull Dodger
Type of boat I like: issaquah

Post by Artfull Dodger »

Hi Ray congrats on the recent purchase of your plans Im sure you will get great excitement out of the build as I have. It has taken a little longer than expected due to travel with work then unfortunately ill health; however things are on the mend.
For every negative thing that happens there is more often an upside, and for me, that has been the support of family and the increase in the aussie dollar against the green back. :D
I have finally placed order for hatches, rudder, anchor runner and bits and bobs to allow me to start on the fit out :P to which I was really wishing to have completed before I head up north for a couple of weeks R&R at xmas break. :cry:
I am in the process of applying the finish coat of marine spar and will post some more pics on the weekend.

Matt and Oldsparky thanks again for the ongoing support I have never been concerned to feel a fool asking the questions and you guys continue to keep coming up with the answers for which I am thankful. :D :) :D
Ossie Bruce
Type of boat I like: OKWATA.

Post by Ossie Bruce »

A D,
How far north are you coming ?
Ossie Bruce OKWATA Wet at last
North Queensland
Australia
Artfull Dodger

Post by Artfull Dodger »

Hi OB,

Not as far as I wish however I will be on Lake macquarie which is about 3 1/2 times the size of Sydney harbour and 352 km around the forshore mmmmm thats some paddling.

Did some more on the weekend in between keeping round the house and throwing up xmas lights for the family lol.

I managed to get a few coats of final finish on and road test a sealent around the hatch, I'm more than happy with seal I think it will make an IP seal and allow run off as well only question is how long it last under the conditions.....

I placed the design template on the real thing just to highlight something..... it sometimes does go to plan.lol

P.S:.....I wish you a all very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year

P.S.S: I hope the Mail People go back to work (industrial strike) I mean all the xmas cards OK BUT WHAT ABOUT MY DELIVERY>
Artfull Dodger

Post by Artfull Dodger »

I finally had a chance to wet the Okwata and I can say I was blown away by what I have, I cant put in words how well she paddled. :D :lol: :D I simply loved it and whilst it maybe the longest build on record that was never my intentions. I have placed in the seating and are more than happy with the comfort and how stable the okwata is. I still have the rudder, anchor system and final pimp finish i mentioned in my previous build comments to complete ( keep you posted).
What was rather impresive to me is how responsive and stable she really is. I fished in shallow water, just drifting I managed three whiting and four bream on nippers. Im selling the 19 foot fibreglass power boat I have no further need for such heartache :shock: .
I know a few people are watching this build and I intend to wrap it up soon I would like to add once again it is truly something very special, get back to you all soon. Hope you enjoy the pics

Last edited by Artfull Dodger on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Beauty! Congrats on getting her done. I just ordered plans for the Okwata and am very happy that everyone that has built her likes her.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Congradulations Dodger, a work of art.

My plans arrived last week and I'm up in Sydney at the moment visiting relos and buying all my Okky bits. Hope to make a start in two weeks time. Your builld is a real inspiration.

Well done,
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Very nice!
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Heya Dodger,

Welcome to the world of Okwata!, A fine build. you have done the boat proud mate.

Hey Matt!

How long before we get a Occy out and about thingy here? LOL

Geez, i am inspired again. Need to get wet n take me own lil Occy for a walk. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)